Zach Danziger Master Thread

amoergosum

Re: Zach Danziger Master Thread

Postby amoergosum » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 am

I guess most of you have seen this Uri Caine clip....anyway...it belongs in this thread...:) >>>

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3djqy ... aris_music
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 am

Check it out: Bridgestone Music Festival ´10 >>>

Last edited by amoergosum on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:54 am

Some of that is good music. But honestly, I gotta say, it's like a bunch of rich people being able to play with their toys on a stage.

*shrug* Just IMO. Not saying any of the given performers are bad, or aren't very good by any means, but you know, really? It isn't exactly mind blowing for the venue. Just saying...

It's come to like, there's cats playing tiny little clubs in nowhere land that would blow that away. So many of them, in so many cities. I'm just not that impressed anymore by the fancy. You got $45,000 in electronic gear and you're feeding me those cheesy samples? Really? "Getting jiggy with it?"

Where's the Steve face...
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:Some of that is good music. But honestly, I gotta say, it's like a bunch of rich people being able to play with their toys on a stage.

*shrug* Just IMO. Not saying any of the given performers are bad, or aren't very good by any means, but you know, really? It isn't exactly mind blowing for the venue. Just saying...

It's come to like, there's cats playing tiny little clubs in nowhere land that would blow that away. So many of them, in so many cities. I'm just not that impressed anymore by the fancy. You got $45,000 in electronic gear and you're feeding me those cheesy samples? Really? "Getting jiggy with it?"

I agree. The band acts like zombies. No energy. The singer lady is trying to get the crowd going, but the band is holding her back. This performance is not my cup of tea.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:Some of that is good music. But honestly, I gotta say, it's like a bunch of rich people being able to play with their toys on a stage.

why would the venue dictate how 'mind=blowing' the performance should be? I doubt that the performance put on by this group was meant to blow minds.

The cheesy samples is what Zach's thing is all about. check out some of the Boomish stuff he's done. or if you can find it, buy the Bluth album.

Rich people playing with toys? Not sure where to begin with this, but just because they have pro gear; that makes them rich? I'm scratching my head so help me out...
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:54 pm

deseipel wrote:why would the venue dictate how 'mind=blowing' the performance should be? I doubt that the performance put on by this group was meant to blow minds.

The cheesy samples is what Zach's thing is all about. check out some of the Boomish stuff he's done. or if you can find it, buy the Bluth album.

Rich people playing with toys? Not sure where to begin with this, but just because they have pro gear; that makes them rich? I'm scratching my head so help me out...

I was talking about the keyboard player. Guy coulda used a Casio and it woulda sounded the same. Zach is always awesome.

"mind blowing" maybe was the wrong term, how bout just REALLY good? That performance was pretty bad given the caliber of players involved. One would assume given the nature of the gig the performance would be good.
IE: If I paid for a ticket to that, I'd want my money back.

Just my opinion.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm

i hear ya. not my fav performance either. I actually think it had a lot to do with Tim Lefebvre not being there on bass. I suspect the keyboard is a result of the low-fi-glitchy fad that's in right now. I actually dig it.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:44 pm

amoergosum wrote:I guess most of you have seen this Uri Caine clip....anyway...it belongs in this thread...:) >>>

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3djqy ... aris_music

this is a nice clip.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 pm

From Modern Drummer Vinnie interview at http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/ ... mer07.aspx:

When I first heard you on Al Kooper's Championship Wrestling record, your groove really stood out. Drummers like Zach Danziger here in New York really took notice.
Zach Danziger is very talented. You can hear him with Wayne Krantz and he sounds great. I'm talking about people having tunnel vision and sitting there and analyzing what Zach does and seeing the technique versus understanding that he has musical freedom. I bet I can speak for Zach, that he doesn't sit there with a freaking drum-o-meter!

Zach tired of the razzle-dazzle.
Because it's a dead end, man. There is no fastest gun. There's always going to be another Wyatt Earp. You challenge yourself because you want to feel freer and integrated with the instrument and with music. That's really what you're doing. Zach said something very valuable; he told me, "I've found another way to express myself that is satisfying to me." It's easy to twist that and say, "I will rip the walls apart and express myself." Fine. But Zach is saying that he's expressing himself musically because of his awareness and what his idea of musicality is. And the reason why he sounds so good with Wayne Krantz or Boomish is because of his musical depth.

deseipel

Postby deseipel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm

In other news,

The Mister Barrington album was released today on iTunes & amazon mp3

amazon link here
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_srch_drd_B004JW18CO?ie=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=digital-music&field-keywords=Mister%20Barrington

I'm hoping or thinking about waiting for the flac version or just buying the physical cd when it's out. MP3 doesn't sound good on hi fi. deal.

Return to “Drumming Chat”