Taping cymbals?

electrizer

Re: Taping cymbals?

Postby electrizer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Josiah wrote:
electrizer wrote:I don't and I hate to have to do it but my guitarist who at the same tim happens to be our mixing guy asked me to do this because apparently "the decay intereferes with the rest of the kit". I'd hate to have to choke the sound of my cymbals, or toms for that matter

Um, are you talking about live playing?

Because if so I would say the fella has no idea what he's talking about. In addition that being on the stage means there is no way in the world he has any idea how it sounds in the house, which is kind of the first step in running sound.

Nope, recording.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:07 pm

GAFFERS TAPE = WIN [no residue] :P
DUCT TAPE = LOSE [bad residue] :cry:
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

electrizer wrote:
Josiah wrote:
electrizer wrote:I don't and I hate to have to do it but my guitarist who at the same tim happens to be our mixing guy asked me to do this because apparently "the decay intereferes with the rest of the kit". I'd hate to have to choke the sound of my cymbals, or toms for that matter

Um, are you talking about live playing?

Because if so I would say the fella has no idea what he's talking about. In addition that being on the stage means there is no way in the world he has any idea how it sounds in the house, which is kind of the first step in running sound.

Nope, recording.

Come on!!! The ride does not have a quick decay. None do. Don't do it. No tape. Just play. He just wants the recording to sound like all the Superior 2.0 bands out there. Tell him to lay off the compression. :roll:
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Jim Richman wrote:He just wants the recording to sound like all the Superior 2.0 bands out there. :roll:

THANK YOU!!! ;)
percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:40 am

Come on!!! The ride does not have a quick decay. None do. Don't do it. No tape. Just play. He just wants the recording to sound like all the Superior 2.0 bands out there. Tell him to lay off the compression. :roll:[/quote]

My DeJohnette mark 1 has a fast decay :P
Sometimes a bit of tape is useful to achieve a sound you are after, as for recording, some engineers like you to get your cymbals as far away from the drums as possible i.e. high up, but careful mic placement and soundcheck can usually achieve most of this.
The Superior comment is apt!!
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 am

Jim Richman wrote:Come on!!! The ride does not have a quick decay. None do. Don't do it. No tape. Just play. He just wants the recording to sound like all the Superior 2.0 bands out there. Tell him to lay off the compression. :roll:

+1,000

Hobbyist who doesn't understand recording live instruments is a world of difference from samples. YOU dictate how your drums sound. Don't get run over on your personal sound and tone. That's YOUR sound. Flip the script on him, tell him to change his guitar tone and see how that goes.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Ha Ha that's awesome!

The score:
Jim Richman......1
The Opposition...0

Jim Richman: The Closer!

Shut 'em down, Jim!

Return to “Drumming Chat”