We are very lucky...

willyz

We are very lucky...

Postby willyz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:35 am

I played a gig yesterday with my band, the Good Nights, that really struck a positive tone in me and I feel the need to share this stuff with you guys because it really applies to all of us out there playing music for people as well as ourselves, and if we’re fortunate enough- making extra money or a living from it (whoa run-on sentence!). As the subject title states- we’re freaking lucky.

The day always starts out a little slow. I pick up my guitar player on the way to the venue, struggle to get the back door to the venue open, and eventually unload all my gear and fight for a place to park. It’s maybe 1:00pm by now and Rainey Street is packed. It’s a cool little part of Austin mainly comprised of old houses that have been remodeled and turned into bars, and recently some into restaurants. I really think it’s a part of town that there is a legitimate buzz about, and I think for us as a band and for other players in general it’s going to be important to the music scene in Austin- a new standard may be set soon.

It was a bit overcast and was really our first day of fall as temperatures were in the 50’s and 60’s- a bit rare for Austin this time of year. We were concerned that the gig wouldn’t do too well, but we were very wrong. There’s something about that anticipative hunger that gets me while I’m setting up my kit. People file in, grab their drinks and food, position themselves in these lounge style chairs- you can tell people are already having a good time. The rest of the guys in the band show up one by one and as the PA is put together like a house being constructed from the ground up. By the time we’re ready to roll, the hang begins while we wait for our trusty sound guy to arrive so we can sound check. Again, that feeling, almost a feeling of lust for to play takes over. I love it when the vibe is there.

Eventually, we sound check and we fly through our first set. We play tunes that the crowd knows and they’re digging it, and we’re having fun playing together too. Laughing at bits and little musical jokes, enjoying ourselves- it’s so genuine, and it’s just GOOD. And what’s even better was that I could look out in the crowd and see faces of people from different circles all there for the same purpose. People I work with, different groups of friends, friends of friends, etc. And the crowd even knows our original stuff, too.

I was speaking with one of our friends, who oddly enough is also named Will, during the set break. Will is a blogger and is really invested in the scene in town. He was saying that the music is great, the playing is great, but what he looks for in a band is the fun aspect. He, as the rest of the crowd did, saw how much we were enjoying playing with each other for the crowd and totally vibed off of that. That’s amazing, right? It’s a give and take sort of thing, it’s one common goal- there’s something electric about the whole thing that combines us and the crowd. It’s as if it’s a religious experience or something. I was talking to some folks that I met after the gig and they said that they watch me play and see how much I’m enjoying myself and that it rubbed off on them. That’s freaking AMAZING to me. It was a great gig all around, I had a blast, and that made people I don’t even know FEEL GOOD. For those two hours we made people dance, we grooved our asses off, and we collectively achieved happiness- man, what a feeling!

Which, finally, brings me to the point of this thread. There is no better feeling than the high I’m still on from yesterday. At the end of the day, it’s not about the selfish ‘look what I can do’ or ‘I’m an artist’. It’s not about the business or making money. We are so damn lucky to be musicians, to play for people that appreciate it, to have a great time together, and to be able to escape and vibe positively with people we know and don’t know. It’s not about the chops, the gear, fans, money, politics, or whatever. We are lucky to be who we are and to be able to do what we do. Yesterday we made people dance, we made people happy, and we made ourselves happy. We CREATED that, and that is the big picture. I’m going to hang on to this feeling for as long as possible because this is the only true motivation I need. We are very lucky. I hope you guys feel the same way!

Today, I'm back at the day job. It's mundane and boring, my body aches from loading the PA and my gear as well as playing my heart out, and I don't care. Yesterday really was something else.

That’s all I’ve got, kids. Cheers!
Got Blushda?
Pocketplayer

Re: We are very lucky...

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Most people have to get high to realize this...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm

No matter what gig I go to, I have that "lusty" feeling before the gig/during set-up etc. I dunno, I just love playing so much.

No, I don't always have a gig like you did they other night, but when that does happen, it's fantastic. I feel bad for the guys that don't enjoy playing...they are always grumbling about how everything sucks and it's not how it use to be and they rther be home watching TV. I say, stay home, I'll take your gig!

I hate schluping gear, going up the stairs, fighting through people to get to the stage, who look at you all crazy because they are in YOUR way...lol but when I'm all set up ready to go, I'm ready to go.

I used to be taken back years ago when the acolades stop coming my way..."wow you are a great drummer" etc etc...nowadays, when the crowd is into the MUSIC and not just the DRUMMER, its a million times more satisfying. Because that's what we should be there for...to move people and take them out of the day to day bullshit...and to feel the music. We are so important to that feel...when it all comes together with the band like Willy had, it really creates an impact. "Ah finally!! I knew I came here and set up all my shit for a reason!" It's truly a sharing experience..you give your all, and you get something back. Perfect.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Great post Willy ! I too get addicted to that feeling, it never gets old. You put it well.
Glad you're doing your thing!
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 am

Great post!

Like when jazz guys talk about the room levitating.

Cymbalfeltfetishist wrote:No matter what gig I go to, I have that "lusty" feeling before the gig/during set-up etc. I dunno, I just love playing so much.

This! And then the actual playing goes by so fast

Music is special and magical.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 am

Ah Ha!

Willy...

Welcome to the club. You just described the band I play with. We talk about this at nearly...no wait....EVERY GIG. Especially during less-than-ideal situations of rough load-ins (no roadies), outdoors with tough weather, drunk people, requests for Brown-Eyed Girl...twice, etc...

Nuthin' better than gig day with the boys, whether it is for a small backyard party or 15,000 people on 4th of July before the fireworks.

This Thursday evening we are playing a dental office open house in a parking lot a mile from my house for probably a couple hundred people. Time commitment will be from 3:30 - 9:00pm, playing from 5:30-8:00. Fun people, the In-n-Out trailer serving great burgers, some adult beverages...and $375 each ($1500 for the band, $68.18/hour each...I'll take it). I will probably post some silly stuff on our Facebook site like I do for most gigs...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rave ... 6682436238

...and we are all approaching or over 60 years old going on 20...really.

It will cap off a work day nicely.

Keep that feeling, Willy, it'll get you through life's shit!

Rob
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21 am

robhaerr wrote:.

Keep that feeling, Willy, it'll get you through life's shit!

Absolutely! Things may never quite work out as expected or predicted in any facet, playing music or just life in general (especially life in general- what a ride!). But it's the warm feeling I still have from playing that gig that keeps me in check.
Got Blushda?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:57 am

Rob I woulda took that gig at the mention of In N Out!

Miss dem cali burgers
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 am

I mentioned to a bass player I played with for the first time the other night that, "Im into the endorphines I get from playing." hey, youve got to feel the love somehow!
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Josiah wrote:Rob I woulda took that gig at the mention of In N Out!

Miss dem cali burgers

Josiah...I hear that In-n-Out is being lobbied heavily to bring their burgers to Denver...

http://www.denverpost.com/legislature/ci_19636154

Denver's got the In-n-Out Urge.

Return to “Drumming Chat”