Malleus Pedals

deseipel

Malleus Pedals

Postby deseipel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:55 am

I'm sort of looking for a new pedal and I came across these guys on fb. The pedals look to be all machined aluminum and very solid. What I like about them so far is

no heel plate to mess with
larger footboard
larger linkage
direct drive
small company that has more incentive to provide quality & service.

the single pedals are $320 USD, doubles are around 800 USD (? Im converting 200 & 500 GBP to USD)

No, I haven't tried one. But I'm considering risking the purchase considering the pros.

Oh, and their drums look georgeous too: http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/MalleusDrumPedals

Malleus - high performance, precision engineered drum pedal, designed to be the last pedal you'll ever need.

Malleus components are machined to the tightest tolerance, no die cast parts, no cutting corners, a simple design with no pointless excess. It relies on solid engineering principles featuring a constant system of bearings installed at every rotational point. The direct drive bar produces zero lag for the fastest response possible.

The result is a super smooth, efficient and powerful pedal that feels positive underfoot. The Malleus has been designed & manufactured by drummers, for drummers.

The pedals' design is loaded with new refreshing ideas such as:
The Tow Bar hoop coupling system (Patent Pending), offering fast connection to and from the drum. This allows the double pedal beaters to strike more centrally on the drum.
The Multi Position Beater Housing (patent pending) allows tailoring of feel and performance, finding the right balance of speed and power is simple, as is reverting to previous settings.

The practical system of parts means pedals can be assembled as right, left, centre, double and single all from the same components, the double pedals can also be split into singles.

Malleus is made in small runs to ensure the highest quality control, generation 1 has almost sold out, generation 2 is now evolving.

The design will evolve with new parts, accessories and upgrade components, meaning it really will be the only pedal any drummer needs.

Priced at £200 for a single (left or right) & £500 for a double (left or right) they are competitively priced to other more mass produced high end pedals.
bstocky

Re: Malleus Pedals

Postby bstocky » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:25 am

Do we really need another drum/pedal company? Maybe, if they make nice stuff. They look like prototypes to me. They don't look like a finished product... maybe that's what they were going for. I'm not sure how the hoop mount works. I don't know why guys keep trying to reinvent that. Someone will have to try them and report back.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:38 pm

You can get a DW heelless double pedal for almost half the price. They are proven road ready pedals with easily replaceable parts available almost anywhere in the world.

It is very obviously a MUCH better designed pedal as well. Where the hell is the bass drum hoop clamp on those anyway?! Not to mention any company that builds anything drum related and does not use the universal drum key screws are utter morons. Sorry, but that's just plain idiotic to use Hex Set Screws for EVERYTHING. Including the beater holder?!

Like bstocky said..... they look like prototypes with some serious design flaws besides the ones I've pointed out. Look at those pedals and look at these. There is a world of difference:

Between Tama, DW and Yamaha you have more then enough truly proven products that work fantastic. I have a set of DW5000AD's with over 1,000 gigs on them and have to date only broke 1 screw on the main pedal, and they get thrown around, mixed in with large hardware cases, dropped, stepped on (haha!) you get the idea...
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 pm

u guys are unbelievably negative.

no wonder hardly anyone shares anything here.

I'm open to discussion, but you basically just insulted my post. I"m sorry you found it idiotic and stupid.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:08 pm

I don't think I was negative at all. I certainly don't think your post was stupid. I was just thinking/typing out loud.

Do we really need another pedal choice? Maybe if it's better than everything else. No matter what brand you play you're still going to have to practice.
They LOOK like protoypes to me. Nothing wrong with that. Some people like the industrial look.
I'm not sure how the mount works. That's my fault for not thinking about it a little more but honestly I don't know why companies are messing with the mount. Has your pedal ever fallen off the bass hoop? Ever? Mine hasn't. The only pedals I've ever seen fall off were Jojo's and that Yamaha pedal from a few years ago.
Someone will have to try them and report back. If you have the money and the curiosity, go for it. Maybe you'll love them. Maybe in a few years everyone will be endorsing them.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:42 pm

deseipel wrote:u guys are unbelievably negative.

no wonder hardly anyone shares anything here.

I'm open to discussion, but you basically just insulted my post. I"m sorry you found it idiotic and stupid.

Nobody said your post was idiotic or stupid. Nobody said you were stupid. And nobody insulted you or your post.

I said the DESIGNERS of the pedal were morons for not using drum key screws for adjustments. And they are, that's a pretty stupid design considering that nearly every drum and corresponding hardware products uses our 1 universal key. You really want to be fiddling with a set of hex wrenches and tiny BLACK screws on stage?

You asked for peoples opinions. I gave you my honest OPINION of the pedal based on what I look for as a drummer.

FUNCTION. Not being able to reach down with a drum key to tighten something that comes loose or otherwise adjust anything on the fly is not functional. That's dysfunctional. That point alone instantly is a no brainier for me. The fact they use some bizarre and strange hoop clamping system is strike #2. Combined with the nearly double the price of other industry standards... 3 strikes rule.

Honestly, it seems like you already made your mind and wanted someone to tell you that your choice was ok. You are not open to discussion, you just threw out some nonsense from no where and didn't in any way try to counter valid points that other people brought up.

You asked for peoples opinions. I'm a working drummer, I use gear. I looked at those pedals. I gave you my opinion.

The fact you could literally buy TWO DW5000AD double pedals (or any major brands doubles) for one of theirs is utterly nuts. Sorry but in my opinion you really are not getting your money's worth here.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:57 pm

There are a lot of good pedals out there. It's just hard to know how they'll work for you until you spend a few hours with them. As long as you can return it, I say try one out. I'm pretty happy with my Yamaha pedals. I tried the Tama Speed Cobra a year ago. It was nice, but no better than my Yamaha. If they made one with straps instead of chain, I might like it better. The high end DW9000 pedals look nice, but I've never tried them (I tend to prefer "lighter" feeling pedals).
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Going off topic but who cares. I own the DW9000 and I've been playing it as loose as the springs will go. If I took off any more tension the beater would get stuck. They feel very light. They come out of the box with chains but you get the straps as well. I'm going to try the straps when I have time to make the switch.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:30 pm

I always figured the pedal was the "lightest" it could be when it was self balanced IE: If you pull back on a beater, it free swings for the maximum amount of time. Personal feel thing of course.

Speaking on fancy expensive pedals though, Gene Hoglan swears by his Camco's, and that guys got decent feet....
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:40 pm

bstocky wrote: I own the DW9000 and I've been playing it as loose as the springs will go. If I took off any more tension the beater would get stuck. They feel very light.

That's what I thought. That's why I said they look nice - they look to be very "light", unlike some of the other DW pedals that are like a tank. Let me know how they feel with the strap, which is what I would be using.

Return to “Drumming Chat”