New kit with a 5 month wait for now non-standard sizes.

Matthijs Ament

Re: New kit with a 5 month wait for now non-standard sizes.

Postby Matthijs Ament » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:08 am

The Recording has these 'high tension lugs'. These lugs could have a dampening effect on the shell [making the shell more rigid/stiff with
all the metal being tightened onto the wood] At the same time they have 1,6 m.m. triple flanged rims [which are known to make the drumhead sing] With the Absolute series this turned around with the alu die cast hoops and the small lugs. Theoretically this could mean:
Recording = dry, choked shell + wet, vibrant head
Absolute = wet, vibrant shell + dry, choked head

But all these things are of minor impact, soundwise. Yamaha did not come up with something as radical as the PHX for nothing. You need to do radical things to make a real difference I guess. The biggest impact soundwise on any kit are heads, rims and sticks. When I moved to the Zildjian Vinnie sticks [5B dense Hickory] a whole new world opened up. Coming from RegalTip Jeff Porcaro and Vic Firth Weckl sticks with more fibre rich hickory.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:03 am

My requests to Richie for his test - It has to be the same heads on everything. Clear or coated Ambassadors or Emps. Nothing unusual. No muffling the toms. If you muffle the bass drum you have to do all of them exactly the same way. The kits have to be set up in the same space, on top of the same type of carpet. Same mics, no eq... that's all I can think of right now.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:27 am

Matthijs Ament wrote:'these kits in a practice and live situation there are significant differences in the Recording and Birch Customs' ....?....the Recording IS a birch kit. So the one birch kit sounds significant differently from the other birch kit from the same company and the same level of quality. Nah.... :D

The early Recording Customs were completely different shells and bearing edge. Surprisingly, not many people took notice of this.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:46 pm

bstocky wrote:My requests to Richie for his test - It has to be the same heads on everything. Clear or coated Ambassadors or Emps. Nothing unusual. No muffling the toms. If you muffle the bass drum you have to do all of them exactly the same way. The kits have to be set up in the same space, on top of the same type of carpet. Same mics, no eq... that's all I can think of right now.

I think you must be following me around, thats pretty much me in a nutshell as I do mostly cover/corporate/funk lounge gigs my heads are generally clear Emperors on almost all of my drums. Yes I can see the lack of variety but I always experiment with different heads on my drums when I can. The PHX had clear Emperors on it but I was keen to try the Vintage Coated Ambassadors as they were to to hit Australia (yes, somethings take too long to get here) but I will be switching back to the clear Emperors for this test. The only 2 drums that will not have the same mics will be the 8" Maple and PHX toms, these will be tested separately simply because I don't have enough Shure Beta 91DS mics. I will use these mics on the first section of the video on these 2 toms only just for a comparison.

Will all be in the same rom, same set up, I don't use any muffling on the toms so thats not an issue, I use the same baby blue fleece blanket in my kits and I only muffle in the same way anyway so thats all good. Was never planning on using any EQ except at the end where I will be doing something a little different but the man test with be in the same room, same set up, same carpet and NO EQ.

Old Pit Guy wrote:
Matthijs Ament wrote:'these kits in a practice and live situation there are significant differences in the Recording and Birch Customs' ....?....the Recording IS a birch kit. So the one birch kit sounds significant differently from the other birch kit from the same company and the same level of quality. Nah.... :D

The early Recording Customs were completely different shells and bearing edge. Surprisingly, not many people took notice of this.

I was after an 80's RC as they just sounded different, sounded insanely good but hard to get down here unless someone who has no idea what they have and is willing to part with it. This test is for the more modern makes, if I had an 80's and a current RC tat would get it's own test.

:)
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 pm

I look forward to your test. I've wondered about something like what you're doing for some time.
The early RCs in question have model numbers that end with RA, eg TT-910RA for a 10"
They feature much thinner shells with full round overs. The bearing edges are finish-matched to the interiors. It's a warm, semi-dry character but with some splat. Sort of a Birch Custom - Gretsch hybrid sound.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:39 am

My 80's RC's haven't been played in a few years now. If you're in LA you're welcome to them for the test.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:My 80's RC's haven't been played in a few years now. If you're in LA you're welcome to them for the test.

If I was that would be awesome but living in Australia means a 17 hour flight, could have celebrated Christmas all over again. Heard that kit on the lesson videos and of course the Altered recordings.

It's a seasoned kit that will only get better with age. I'll be in LA mid 2013 and would love to get a lesson of you at The Shed if you're up for it.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Sounds good Richie just let me know man.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Steve, If/when I get the right gig, I may have to take you up on that. I've never played a RC kit before...
Got Blushda?
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:59 pm

willyz wrote:Steve, If/when I get the right gig, I may have to take you up on that. I've never played a RC kit before...

I must admit it was back in the 90's that I played one and the sound and feel just stuck with me. Ever since then I have always wanted one and this year I have finally had the chance to nab one.

Just love it, sounds so warm it's amazing.

Return to “Drumming Chat”