Big Weckl announcement?

Steven Orkin

Re: Big Weckl announcement?

Postby Steven Orkin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 am

This whole thread started as folks genuinely interested in what the whole announcement was about and then if the goal could be reached.

Actually, this thread started with people complaining that the announcement didn't come fast enough after it was teased on Facebook. Then, it turned into a judgement of the music before the music had been written. Now, it is a complaint that the company behind this campaign is doing its best to make sure the campaign is a success - for all involved - with not one downside to anyone.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 pm

'If it's written that way, that's what you do'
Mark Petersson

Postby Mark Petersson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Steven Orkin wrote:
This whole thread started as folks genuinely interested in what the whole announcement was about and then if the goal could be reached.

Actually, this thread started with people complaining that the announcement didn't come fast enough after it was teased on Facebook. Then, it turned into a judgement of the music before the music had been written. Now, it is a complaint that the company behind this campaign is doing its best to make sure the campaign is a success - for all involved - with not one downside to anyone.

No offence, but I think you're taking this too personal!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:20 pm

so they need another 30 days. cool. hope they hit their mark. how can anyone feel like they have been cheated in away. you haven't been charged yet? and you can CANCEL if you feel cheated out of a product. people hope that dave succeeds? he's kind of been succeeding for a quarter of a century. the guy is very successful.
Last edited by Kurtis on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Steven Orkin wrote:
How classy of you, "Wikiman." Sentiments that would surely enhance your blog. #noselfesteem #nogrammys #noclass

Ooof! My comment did indeed lack class and I apologise. Not sure what the quotes are for or the cryptic reference to blogging?

Someone in my immediate family has a Grammy - will that do? Your analysis of my self-esteem was class itself.
#marketing

I'd love Dave to succeed but I wish he'd gone for something more arresting.
____
Ned
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 pm

As it was mentioned before >>>

Do PledgeMusic projects expire?

You can select any number of days up to 90 to reach your goal but we recommend between 30 and 60. If you fail to reach your target in the time you selected your project will close and be removed from the project listings, although it will still be visible to fans who pledged. Pre-order campaigns require only a release date.

They should rewrite their FAQ page...that's all...if they don't they loose their credibility.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Man, I love the f'n Internet :)
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:06 pm

There are three reasons this didn't sit well with me.

1. Weckl posted the teaser on the 30th of October. It sounded like something was just about to be revealed, but then a day went by and nothing happened.
On the 31st of October, Dave stated that within a few days, we'd have something. A few days went by. And another few days. And another few days. And
another few days. And another few days. That didn't sit well with me.

2. The music in the teaser sounded dated to me. Maybe that had nothing to do with the end product, but that's hard to guess on your own, when you have
nothing else to go by. In a rare case of foresight I stated that I had always preferred Dave playing other people's music, and especially NOT Jay's. So that part
didn't sit well with me either - but that's very subjective and only my personal opinion!

3. The funding closing date got pushed 30 days out, which just seemed so wrong to me. I once co-funded a local music hall project, where everyone was told that it had to be done within a strict time frame, and some - myself included - chimed in more than once, while on a tight budget, to see the project succeed. Just
when we thought it wouldn't get funded in time and chimed in again, they pushed the time frame a month or two, which really pissed me off, because I had chimed in more than I actually could afford, to help a project that meant a lot to me. Now, I didn't actually fund Dave's upcoming project (because 1. I am really low on cash, and
2. see my second initial point) but I get why people who did might feel wronged. I felt so when I chimed in on that music hall project, and I think the two are comparable in that way.

Now, I really DO have the greatest respect for Dave's abilities and I love his drumming (in many settings, other than with Jay Oliver) so in general I'd love
to see him have a ton more of success in his lifetime. He's a one of a kind drummer. I just wish he'd gone about this differently.
Last edited by Morgenthaler on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Steven Orkin wrote:

Is that how you read this whole thread? Most of us showed true interest and tried guessing what the announcement could it be... Everyone express their support to Dave. Some of the guys didn´t like the music. Big deal. Is art we´re talking about.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:45 am

Morgenthaler wrote:There are three reasons this didn't sit well with me.

1. Weckl posted the teaser on the 30th of October. It sounded like something was just about to be revealed, but then a day went by and nothing happened.
On the 31st of October, Dave stated that within a few days, we'd have something. A few days went by. And another few days. And another few days. And
another few days. And another few days. That didn't sit well with me.

I may share of the thoughts of the other points you posted Morgenthaler, but I think that the timing you wrote about Dave´s posts are not correct...

I don´t find anything wrong, and I don´t feel cheated, with this timing announcement (from Dave´s FB page):

30th october - "BIG announcement coming. REALLY big."
7th november - "Thanks for your patience! Almost ready to announce a REALLY cool thing. Stay tuned just a little longer! :)"
10th november - "Dave is making a new album! Click the link to learn more! Watch the video at the top of the page and jump on board for this exciting project!"

Return to “Drumming Chat”