VC on the cover of next month MD.

Kurtis

Re: VC on the cover of next month MD.

Postby Kurtis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:48 pm

He doesn't need to know what he's talking about. It came directly out of the horses mouth. We all need to make a living. He's saying what it takes to keep alive in the business. What happened. Where is the truth of the matter.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:23 pm

I have a question for Steve. Your Yamaha toms sound incredible on your videos. If you read the comments a lot of people would agree with me. You know how to tune and play a drum.
If I give you DW toms in the same sizes as your Yamahas with the same heads and leave you alone with a drum key, you're telling me you can't get those DW drums to sound good? They still sound like ass after you tuned them and played them?
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Good question bstocky. I agree that DWs are good drums. They are a good company. I've played them many times. The toms sound good. Not my first choice for a drum tho.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 pm

I've tried and tried to get DW drums to sound good at numerous rehearsal facilities that use DW for their backline. I have never, ever, not even once, gotten even close to getting a half decent sound out of them. I've had much better luck with their lower line Pacific Drums. I find their hardware similarly awkward and clumsy.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:00 pm

I might be able to get them to sound acceptable, but not approaching the quality of sound I can get out of my Yammies.
Thanks for the compliment too!
willyz

Postby willyz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:36 am

I've used DW's a handful of times when they're supplied as the house kit. I can get by with getting them to sound decent, but a lot of them sound the same and kind of box-like. Sound best as a low thud, instead of having any pitch.

It's the hardware that makes me want to kill myself. Seriously, it should not be THAT difficult to tilt a cymbal from the boom. The snare stands are just as bad- bulky and difficult to use in a pinch.
Got Blushda?
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 am

Hmmm, interesting. I haven't played any DW kits in years. The ones I did play were back in the Keller shell days. They all sounded great. Just like my Ayottes which are probably Keller shells which sound as good as my Yamaha MCA kit. I have two 14x16" toms and with the same heads and tuning they sound almost identical.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 am

I've had my DW's going on 8 years and its only been in the past 2 years that they really started to sound good. Once I put Remo's back on they have really come alive. Yes I can get them thuddy if I wish but I can also get a nice round tone out of them. I wont compare them to my Yamahas because the Yammies are all Birch, nor would I compare them to the PHX which are again different woods and twice the price. The problem I have found with DW's is that most of the time with big artists they receive supplied kits that are brand new. At least in all the DW vids I see on You Tube. I stand by my idea that they sound much better as they age. I also think part of the issue is guys like Pridgen, Lang, Royster, etc are all SLAMMING the drums as hard as they can the whole time. That can make any drum sound shitty. Can't say anything bad about the kick drums though. In fact I've been known to use my DW kick with my yamaha toms.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm another Josiah kiss ass. Some of your posts are hilarious, provocative and also quite smart. On the other hand, I completely disaprove calling our drumming buddies assholes or anything like it. 8-)

I get very curious to try out as many DW sets I can after I hear people slamming the company in this forum. Just for the sake of fun, here are a few
clips I got from youtube showing how their toms sound like:

1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ellKF-VHdA

2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02m82ERPPWc

3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja2jB6gr ... ure=relmfu
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Your honor I rest my case.

Good gawd.

Return to “Drumming Chat”