VC on the cover of next month MD.

druid13

Re: VC on the cover of next month MD.

Postby druid13 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 am

Right ...I was referring more to an earlier post...in terms of sustain. I believe someone was commenting on dead tom sounds. As far as projection...well DW alot of the time is a maple shell...typically not your 1st choice for projection. Birch would be better for that. But I can say I've played my maple shells unmiked in acoustic jazz situations and rock situation and never had a problem projecting in either case. The jazz gig in particular I had plenty of sound with a very light touch...and they are Collectors series...not the Jazz series drums.

But I agree there are players out there playing DW in very loud environments and without a heck of alot of touch I guess....alot of those guys are not tuned the way I would be and their drums sound pretty flat to my ear. Again I became intersted in DW long before the trend and hype got rolling...from players like Wackerman.

I do find the discussion of drum companies funny though...I mean honestly before Vinnie was anyone really paying that close attention to Ludwig in 2012? Like I said...great they are back....but it is interesting after hearing stories of Vinnie playing Gretch shells with Yamaha hardware ( supposedly) and all the other stuff we have heard over the years.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 am

need a controlled experiment for ears

same mic, same heads, same tuning, same drum size, same wood

some sort of double blind test.

coudl you tell which one is the DW tom? THAT would be interesting.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 am

I've always loved Chad Wackerman's sound too, but not so much on the "Live at Yoshi's" DVD with Allan Holdsworth. But in that case, I think it's the Evans heads that ruin it for me, not so much the drums. I've heard Chad live, up close, and his drums sounded great.

My own experience playing many DW kits over the years is that they're not for me. I've never played or heard their Jazz series though. I think I might like those.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

druid13 wrote:before Vinnie was anyone really paying that close attention to Ludwig in 2012?

Most definitely. There has been plenty of discussion about Ludwig on a number of drum forums for the last four or five years. Ludwig has been turning things around since about 2000 I'd say. In fact, if they offered die cast hoops for their toms, I may have purchased Ludwig instead of Gretsch three years ago. In my case, I definitely wanted to support a U.S. company, especially one that has been around since the beginning. Ludwig offers a nice variety of shells, and finishes, as well as sizes, which many companies (like Yamaha, Tama) don't. I'm very happy with my Gretsch, but Ludwig really makes nice stuff too, and their new hardware is terrific.
groober

Postby groober » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:57 am

druid13 wrote:well DW alot of the time is a maple shell...typically not your 1st choice for projection. Birch would be better for that. But I can say I've played my maple shells unmiked in acoustic jazz situations and rock situation and never had a problem projecting in either case.

Just to be precise about this ... I personally am not talking about maple or birch but the thickness of the shell, the bearing edge and the hardware with regards to projection. DW generally don't project well in a lot of situations. The Jazz series has other characteristics etc.
I personally am not happy with a lot of the "Keller type, thin shells approach" . Any ways, if you are happy with yours that's great. That's the bottom line.
The "Blindfold test" lol yeah
druid13

Postby druid13 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am

I am interested in trying out the Ludwig pedals....I had Speed Kings back in the day...complete with squeaks.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 am

My wife bought me a brand new Black Beauty about a year and a half ago. I love it. I'm interested in checking out the Carl Palmer sig snare as well.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:22 am

So, is this out yet, anyone picked it up?

From the cover (http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Vinnie-Colaiuta--The-Evolution-of-the-Drumset--Yamaha-s-Recording-Custom-kit--and-more-.html?soid=1102813168523&aid=qQIb01hQIHY) I am grimly anticipating an extended rant about people filming from the audience.

:|
____
Ned
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:03 am

I like the cover photo.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Looking forward to picking this up. Let's see what the man has to say.

Return to “Drumming Chat”