John Riley bustin'

David Francis

Re: John Riley bustin'

Postby David Francis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 pm

GREAT post Mark!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:07 am

Yes Mark, great post indeed, thanks for sharing.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks Mark.

John Riley´s DVD is on my list:

Terry Branam

Postby Terry Branam » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:45 pm

nomsgmusic wrote:
Terry, I also forgot to mention in my previous post, that John is also a MASTER transcriber. Check out those transcription books of Simon’s first two DCI videos (amongst others.) John transcribed it all.

Hey Mark,

Great posts and insights!

Yes, I had a lot of those Manhattan Music books he did. In fact, John was one of my influences for learning how to transcribe stuff. I was fortunate enough to get to tell him that, and he was very humble and gracious. Just a super nice guy.

The DVD is great. There's a ton of material in that thing!!

PS. If you're still listening, I also wanted to tell you that I totally admire your writing, man. Some of your MD pieces cost me hundreds of dollars buying CDs at Tower records!!!

Peace
Check out my app PERFECT RHYTHM on the App store!
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 pm

Terry Branam wrote:PS. If you're still listening, I also wanted to tell you that I totally admire your writing, man. Some of your MD pieces cost me hundreds of dollars buying CDs at Tower records!!!

I'm sure Mark cost a lot folks money after reading those articles. I know he did me. Made me excited to seek out the music.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Rodge, Terry, Clint, etc...

Thank you, and, you are very welcome! I'm sorry that I don't have more time to chime in here, but I'm pretty busy (writing, playing, some teaching, etc...) Glad you guys still remember that MD stuff, I spent a lot of time researching and had a ball writing those. I have been writing ever since. Sorry about all the $$$ that I cost y'all. I sincerely hope it was worth it.

I'll also throw a plug in here, maybe I should make it a topic.... BUT, the Percussive Notes is printing an interview that I did with (the Grandfather of Funk) Smokey Johnson this month. Zig calls Smokey his FAVORITE drummer, and one of his few PRIME influences. Smokey is a LEGEND of drumming, and should be much more known to the drumming masses. Besides being one of the New Orleans funk INNOVATORS, he also kept the Fats Domino gig for "only" 25 (ish) years. Check it out. You might also want to go back a few issues of Percussive Notes and check out an interview that I did with Zakir Hussain too, the guy just breathes wisdom!

Back to John (subject at hand,) I was just trying to give some praise to a musician that has helped me (and MANY others) out immensely!!! He deserves praise and attention. I still thank him every time I see him!

I'm sorry to sound like an "old guy" by saying that today's "environment of education" is lacking. BUT...... with today's hyper judgement, one word replies (masked as "conversation,") over-sensitivity, lack of tact and truth, absence of longer attention spans, lack of info-filtering, etc, etc, etc.... Wise (and fearless) educators like John are becoming more rare, so the REAL ones (like John) should be singled out for what they do. I have really tried to follow John's examples with my students: Truth, sincerity, honesty, hard work, an occasional foot up your butt, and at the end of it all, a big smile. Because it's "just" music.

For all of you that "think" they might want a lesson with him. Go down to the Vanguard on a Monday. LISTEN, and talk with John. It's really that easy. My first "lessons" with John were going to Scofield gigs, and talking with John between sets.

Some of my greatest "lessons" with many of "the greats" were nowhere near a pair of sticks, a pad, or even a set. Come up with some good (well worded) questions, ask them, and LISTEN to the answers! So many musicians wonder why they really aren't (can't) listening on the bandstand; Well they can't even listen during a normal oral conversation. It's really not that hard, you just have to shut the **** up, and pay attention!!!! EVERY great musician that I have interviewed (and know) is a GREAT listener (during conversation,) it's no wonder that they listen so well when creating music.

And speaking of listening..... Terry, you are definitely following in John's footsteps with your transcription skills, your ears are HUGE!!! And the thing between them is a fine tuned muscle as well. KUDOS and keep up the great work!!!!

Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:45 am

Rodge wrote:They play an Aaron Park's song named "Karma" from the album "Invisible Cinema", you have to listen what does Eric Harland on that album, juste pur beautiful music.

Honestly... that cd is so good. A group I used to play in did nemisis off that album... fun stuff. Harland is an animal. Your taste is impeccable Rodge. In that New Yorky thing, have you heard the Robert Glasper album double booked? Chris Dave is so fun on that album.

Return to “Drumming Chat”