Thumb locked up in a 'r' shape while playing

thewikiman

Thumb locked up in a 'r' shape while playing

Postby thewikiman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 am

Last Sunday I had a four hour practice with the rock covers band I play in. At one point my thumb on my left hand (I play matched grip) locked into an r shape like I was tensing it. I dropped the stick and yelled out a little - it didn't hurt as such (although it wasn't comfortable) but it was just WEIRD. That kind of thing freaks me out, makes me feel queasy. What was so odd was that it was like my brain was continually sending the signal to my thumb to tense right up, without my permission. I had to straighten it out with my other hand, after which it was fine. I played one handed for a bit but then got back into playing normally for the rest of the practice.

So predictably my question is, is there anything specific I can do to ensure that it doesn't happen again tomorrow during the actual gig? I hadn't warmed up much but previously when that's been the case it's the tendons in my wrist or bicep which has tensed up - not ideal but certainly nothing I couldn't play through. If this happens again, I've got to stop playing to sort it out. Normally my warm consists of a LOT of shaking out my hands and wrists (if I don't I tend to risk pulling a muscle late in the gig) and rotating my shoulders / arms, plus obviously the actual playing in the soundcheck. But my actual thumb doesn't really seem like it's going to be influenced by any of that, really.

Any advice?
____
Ned
Morgenthaler

Re: Thumb locked up in a 'r' shape while playing

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:47 am

Give both of your arms and wrists a thorough massage (possibly with athlete's muscle warming oil of some sort) before
warming up on a pad - before the gig. Hope it goes ok.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 am

That's not good. If it happens again I'd see a doctor. I guess Thomas Lang had a Trigger Finger problem. When he played traditional grip his finger would get stuck like he was pulling a gun trigger. He had to use his other hand to straighten out his finger. Yeesh.

Warm up, good luck but don't mess around if it happens again.
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 am

I've had the same experience some 10 years ago, at the end of the third show of the week. Like your thumb has 'a will of it's own'. Basically [in my case] it has to do with over stressing the muscles dealing with your thumb. Gripping too tight for too long combined with very little sleep. It could be a nerve that goes 'tilt'. Or not enough oxigen moving through that tissue. Or / and build up of waste products from the muscle tissue. Try to stay RELAXED during the show anyway. One 32 note single roll too fast or too loud can trigger this. And it wont leave you completely that gig. Avoid getting it. Billy Ward has a great grip concept to avoid this stuff. He calls it 'the hard hitters grip'. I learned some secret weapons from Chris Coleman to train for that kind of 'stress'. He calls it his 'extreme grips'. But having this during practice means you're either over exited or undertrained for the situation. During the gig it's best to trust the FOH tech, you'll be heard :-] No worries yet I'd say.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Try soaking your hands and wrists in warm to hot water. I learned that trick from "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould." Should help relax the muscles.
dccollins

Postby dccollins » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm

I was going to post a similar question to the board a while ago, but I figured out a solution that may help you. . .

I was having pain in the "webbing" between my thumb and index finger on my right hand when playing. It would generally subside after I was warmed up, but it sucked for the first set or so. I got some of the Zildjian Drumstick wax, http://zildjian.com/Products/Accessorie ... mstick-Wax, (I'm sure there are other brands and types of this product out there). It really helps because I don't have to grip the stick as hard to keep my hand in place or to keep from dropping it. HTH and good luck
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Okay thanks guys, this is all really helpful. I'm happy I can sort it for this gig. Will definitely be soaking my arms / wrists, and I'll warm up a LOT.

Still mystified as to why it happened though. Never happened before in 17 years. I hit relatively hard but I wasn't playing deliberately loud on this occasion. Mind you I was very tired - Matthhijs you had little sleep when it happened to you, probably not a coincidence eh?
____
Ned
smoggrocks

Postby smoggrocks » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:59 pm

well, 4 hours is a pretty long time, so that likely contributed. maybe you were gripping too hard at different points. other factors can be adrenaline, dehydration and low potassium.

unless you actually have trigger finger (are you diabetic?), drinking water, eating a banana and doing some concentrated stretching are all good things.

i've always liked this guy's stretches, as i had the same thing happen and had a wrist injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ

soaking is good, but you might need cold, not hot water. if you have inflammation, hot water can make it worsen. same with massage, though i like massaging that fleshy area below the thumb.
Preserve wildlife...throw a party.
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Well, when it happened to me it was after a LONG time on stage. So, I was completely warmed up... My guess is that it happens because you 'burned up' to much energy. My thump didn't have an 'r' shape though. It was bending inward. It freaked me out too. I didn't feel pain like you. But it never happened ever since I've learned to notice the signals of this 'fatigue'. If you go all 'Gruber" it won't happen. Yeah, being on the road means you're not getting enough sleep all the time. On the other hand, when you get older you should spent more time doing sport. Really.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Muscles getting all cramped! Gotta warm up.

Pick up a Mueller elbow sleeve or two, wear it when youre setting up and hanging. Makes a diff for me.

I think you need to practice harder than how you play if youre doing high energy stuff.

But I dont know how those speed metal guys do it without hand injury. Maybe theyre just young

Return to “Drumming Chat”