Steven Wilson live in Mexico (Marco Minemman on drums)

Kurtis

Re: Steven Wilson live in Mexico (Marco Minemman on drums)

Postby Kurtis » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 pm

I can see how Wilson's music is a bit the same with sounds and arranging. But to say its predictable is insane. Umm. You have tons of songs and music to reference from before you hear something new. It's crazy to pick apart his writing. Every band/artist is in the same fucking boat, duh. He's a great song writer, producer, arranger, engineer, musician and so forth. I have lots of respect for Mr. Wilson. I love everything he puts out. I'm very sad that he had to cut off ties to blackfield due to time in life. I love blackfield. Aviv writes most of the music anyhow and Steve puts his magic to it musically and mixes the stuff. Gay rant over.
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Marco is great, yessiree.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 am

This is going to sound weird, but I don't really like Marco's drumming when he's playing any kind of groove. When he's not playing a groove I kinda dig what he does. Odd.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:This is going to sound weird, but I don't really like Marco's drumming when he's playing any kind of groove. When he's not playing a groove I kinda dig what he does. Odd.

I get that. His sound kind of thins out when he's just laying it down. Never thought about it until you mentioned it. Maybe that's why I'm not feeling it. Definitely not PHAT.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Well i would love to see marco in much more versatile musical settings, whether or not to go with steve. To start with, here is the entire show

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Shit. This entire show is now on YouTube. Like I need to buy this stuff anymore.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Kurtis wrote:Shit. This entire show is now on YouTube. Like I need to buy this stuff anymore.

Don't worry, pretty soon there won't even be stuff like that to buy anymore, since YouTube permits copyright infringement all the time.

Gavin Harrison wrote:I must admit that my enthusiasm for making such DVDs where I spend 100's of hours making them (only to find them all over the net on free download sites) has pretty much eroded away. I know there are many people who buy them and are happy to do so - but there's nothing quite like seeing your life's work given away on peer to peer servers to really dishearten you. It's not really even the money - but the fact that some folks have decided to give it a value of ZERO.
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Heh...and I just saw on another forum "Artists most definitely do get paid by Youtube" in reference to the Vevo ads.

I guess compensating artists for their work is now a "thing of the past."
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

AllenS wrote:Artists most definitely do get paid by Youtube

Yes, and no. As it stands, anyone can upload anything they want, and it's up to the infringed upon party to notify YouTube of the violation, and request that it be taken down. It's a complete joke and makes a travesty of the law.

If you want to post your own band's music and/or video, you can do that and "monetize it", which just means that there will be ads displayed at the bottom, and anytime someone clicks on an advertisement, you get paid a percentage of a penny. Not really what I call getting "paid".
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Even tho you can view the entire concert on youtube i still would have bought the material. the youtube is poopy quality. sound is only two channel. I bought the blu ray months ago. i have a nice sound system with a 60 inch tv. also have a nice 32 inch touch screen and klipsch sound for the desktop in my bat cave. I need the blue ray in order to get off on the audio/video. i save up to buy the stuff like i did when i was a kid. Wilson loves to put out these huge package deals. I dig it. it's crazy the amount of material there is on youtube. when ever my band gets together and we shout out tunes we want to do we reference material through youtube. lots of times you can play the music video of the artist. the entire bruno mars album is on youtube.

back to topic. how about marco's hi hat work on this concert. his foot on the hi hat is sick. would like more umph on his overall sound tho. he chose the wrong type of ride for the gig. take the snare down on crank on each lug. it's to high for the music. toms and everything else sounds good. the solo he gets at the end of one of the tunes is crazy lots of notes. can't wait for the new album. already pre ordered it. if porcupine tree wanted to do a type of pledge music deal i think they would do really well. i would donate a good sum. i love the music! they have a large fan base. if successful musicians in the vein of porcupine tree want to make some good scratch for their craft of work they should give it a whirl. I don't want PT to fade away cause steven's solo career is blooming. what would each band member want to make? what do they make on record sales now? how much did they make on fear of a blank planet to date? if they reached their goal of pledge they might release some live material of the current album. just sayin. just dreamin.

Return to “Drumming Chat”