Vinnie's new cymbals

bstocky

Re: Vinnie's new cymbals

Postby bstocky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:57 pm

If I tried 10 Zildjian splash cymbals I'd say 4-5 would be awful, like - hit it once and take it off the stand without even trying it again - awful. A few would be ok and then I'd have a hard time deciding between the top two. When you find a winner it's magic but you'll have to dig through a pile of junk to find it.
Personally I'd like to see more Meinl cymbals in the shops. Their high end stuff seems very nice and possibly/hopefully more consistent than Zildjian.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm

It would be nice to see Ufip cymbals in the U.S./Canada too.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Damn, Ufip sound AWESOME !!! :o
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:53 am

When the now defunct Mars Music was in business, they used to stock Ufip. I bought an 8" splash that sounds perfect to my ears.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 am

I am not very familiar with paiste. Recently I have heard a few drummers locally with Paiste rides and only one impressed me. I may be in the minority but I like the inconsistency with Zildjian cymbals. I like that a friend of mine has the exact same 18" K Dark Crash as I do and they do not sound the same. What may sound like garbage to one may sound great played by someone else. I dig searching for that cymbal that speaks to me.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Exactly. You can say each cymbal is unique or they're inconsistent. There's two ways to think about it.
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 am

I've got around 95 Zildjians and they are all good, no clunkers, but they have all been hand selected and in some cases with the older K brilliant crashes - played in (a lot with the 18 and 19) some are absolute magic, and I wouldn't give a lot of them up. Maybe when I'm no longer able to play in about 35 years.

Paiste have the consistency thing down, absolutely identical as far as I can tell between 3 or 4 the same, consistent between sizes too, 16,17,18 full crashes in my local drum shop sounded like they were made to be together but the A Customs next to them were not so.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 am

Wouldn't be surprised if the same were true about Ludwig (drums and hardware) versus Gretsch, too.

I really think that's the driver behind Vinnie's switches (as well as change for change's sake). Having the tom-arms coming out of the bass drum, and floor toms rather than hanging toms, is indicative of the same shift (preceded by getting rid of the rack, then The Lowering Of the Cymbals) towards simple, fuss-free, surprise-free, usable, consistent, stability.
____
Ned
drumpal

Postby drumpal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

circh bustom wrote:I am not very familiar with paiste. Recently I have heard a few drummers locally with Paiste rides and only one impressed me. I may be in the minority but I like the inconsistency with Zildjian cymbals. I like that a friend of mine has the exact same 18" K Dark Crash as I do and they do not sound the same. What may sound like garbage to one may sound great played by someone else. I dig searching for that cymbal that speaks to me.

No my friend. What is being meant be "consistent" is that most of the cymbals in the selection actually sound good, not the "same." In my experience, I can hit two Paistes; say, two 16" Signature crashes, and they don't sound exactly alike or the same, but they both sound "good;" they're "consistent." Go to the Paiste rack, hit them, most of them sound good, and could be used = consistent; they consistently put out a good sounding product to the public. Go to the Zildjian rack, hit them, most of them sound like sh*t; are unusable (unless you want some crappy sounding cymbals) = inconsistent. Most of the cymbals Zildjian puts out to the public are lame. It takes some serious searching to find a good one.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 am

Man there's some serious Z hate going on here. I wasn't tempted to switch to Ludwig drums or Paiste cymbals when Vinnie made the switch. Formula 602s are very pleasant sounding cymbals, but I thought they sounded too thin and brittle when I saw him play live with Sting. They definitely wouldn't cut enough for most of the shows I play. I have to admit though, the 602 modern essentials make me very curious and want to try them out. If it's really a combo of 602s and trads, that may be the ticket. I played A Customs for forever and while I love the crashes, the rides and hi hats didn't really do it for me. I got bored with the line too. Very plain - like 602s sound to me. I've played Zs all my life, experimented with some Sabians and Agops...didn't like the Sabians I tried - waaay too up front and in your face - I liked a pair of HH hi hats and that's about it. Agops, while I love them, can be a little too soft for rock situations. I'm not switching to Ludwig (too in love with my Yamaha Club Customs), but I may give these Paiste's a try.

Return to “Drumming Chat”