Ot: The best in ear there is?

janne jansson

Ot: The best in ear there is?

Postby janne jansson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 pm

I am getting in ear monitors and i want the best there is with the best noise isolation.
Have to be soft silicone and not acrylic..
I found Sensaphonics.com and acscustom.com/uk/
Anyone out there got advice wisdom or would recommend some others?

Thank´s a zillion
bensdrums

Re: Ot: The best in ear there is?

Postby bensdrums » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 pm

If you want the best isolation possible, go to an audiologist and have impressions taken of your ear canals. Sensaphonics, Westone (which are what I use and prefer), and most of the other serious in-ear manufacturers will take the impressions and build custom inserts for the in-ear model you choose. In my experience, this gives a much better isolation factor and is far less prone to slippage. The standard fittings that the in-ears usually come with are okay, and you can usually find something that fits alright, but a custom insert is the way to go if you want the most isolation in my opinion. It's a bit pricier, but if you're looking for the best result, it's the way to go.
sturla

Postby sturla » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Last summer I did check out various IEM's and asked a lot of sound engineers I know and others that I know use IEM's. Almost everyone asked me to check out JH Audio. And I did get their JH-16 Pro model. And I am still very pleased with them. It is very important to get a perfect impression at an audiologist, and you send them your impressions.
A lot of the live stuff I do this days involves playing along to backing tracks and a click , so it helps to have some great IEM. I don't miss any bottom end for the kick and such. i thought I would miss that, but I don't. And they are really good for just listening to music also of course.
percusski

Postby percusski » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:01 pm

There's a tonne of info over at http://www.head-fi.org/
I picked up some ACS T1Lives and am happy with them, but a big deciding factor was a UK based company in case of backwards and forwardsing should there be any fit/issues etc...but that's a great site for reviews but can get overwhelming!!
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am

There is no 'best'...just like cymbals. It really depends on what you're looking for. Most drummers want more low freqs/bass. My best set is from Westone. I also feel that this stuff [used to be?] is way overpriced. Check out different sets I'd say.
joecrabtree

Postby joecrabtree » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 am

I used to use ACS customs. I had problems with the seal breaking when I smiled.

I interviewed Dave Weckl for my podcast ( http://www.joecrabtree.com/podcast ) and he told me he uses Shure 535s (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NSBKT6/?tag=drumsolo-20 - I couldn't find that info anywhere on the web).

I bought some and I'm very happy with them.

I should note that I'd already had new moulds taken and was about to get some ultra expensive JH16s.

I just came off a European tour and everyone in the support band had the JH16s. I asked the drummer if he had problems with the seal breaking when he smiled. He did.

My conclusion - you only get good bass response when there's a proper seal. Custom moulds make it hard to retain a proper seal (I tried putting the fresh moulds back in my ears and the seal broke when I smiled). The Shures have foam tips that expand to fill your ear canal (like ear plugs). I can do anything I want with my face and I don't lose the seal.

I figured if they were good enough for Dave they're good enough for me. I've used them on 30 gigs since I got them and I'm very happy with them so far.

I hope that helps.
Joe

http://www.joecrabtree.com
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 am

Thank´s a zillion!
jhall

Postby jhall » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:20 pm

joecrabtree wrote:I used to use ACS customs. I had problems with the seal breaking when I smiled.

I interviewed Dave Weckl for my podcast ( http://www.joecrabtree.com/podcast ) and he told me he uses Shure 535s (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NSBKT6/?tag=drumsolo-20 - I couldn't find that info anywhere on the web).

I bought some and I'm very happy with them.

I should note that I'd already had new moulds taken and was about to get some ultra expensive JH16s.

I just came off a European tour and everyone in the support band had the JH16s. I asked the drummer if he had problems with the seal breaking when he smiled. He did.

My conclusion - you only get good bass response when there's a proper seal. Custom moulds make it hard to retain a proper seal (I tried putting the fresh moulds back in my ears and the seal broke when I smiled). The Shures have foam tips that expand to fill your ear canal (like ear plugs). I can do anything I want with my face and I don't lose the seal.

I figured if they were good enough for Dave they're good enough for me. I've used them on 30 gigs since I got them and I'm very happy with them so far.

I hope that helps.
Joe

http://www.joecrabtree.com

I too own the 535's but have had trouble with cables going out in either the left or right ear. I have to replace the cables 3 times now.. I think they are $39 for the pair but it add's up. I use them at least four times a week and while they sound great I am frustrated that they aren't more rugged. I originally was going to get a set of UE-10's and there is a shoot out between them and the Shure ears.. very interesting read.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

I thought Shure has a 10 year or Lifetime warranty of their earphones?

Edit : I guess it's 2 years. I think it used to be longer.
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:42 am

I just ordered the ACS T1 live. (medical silicone and the best snr there is in custom in ear..)
I don`t smile much when i play ;)
So the problem with the seal breaking will not be a big problem....
I will let you all know how they worked out in a couple of weeks..

Pink floyd, U2 and a bunch of superstars use them, so i guess they will be good enough for me...

Return to “Drumming Chat”