Steve Holmes vids

bstocky

Re: New video lesson: 32nd note phrasing

Postby bstocky » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:53 pm

bstocky wrote:Once you learn Steve's examples you'll hear a million other ideas in your head. Thanks again to Steve for the lesson.

So, it's a year later and that other lesson (Steve Holmes 32nd note ideas) is still one of the most beneficial lessons/concepts I've ever been shown. I have to thank you again for that.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Steve Holmes vids

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Wow, I didn't notice it was year later.
Glad you got a lot from it! =)
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07 am

What can I say, your playing is always an inspiration! Just a question re your kit though. In some of the shots the tom mounts are shown and just out of curiosity wanted to know if those rods that the toms hang on can actually go into the drum? It's just surprising that a top of the line like the PHX doesn't offer the facility of non-intrusive tom mounting.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:23 am

My favorite Steve´s lesson so far... Thanks dude, I´ve been working with Syncopation trying to get that flow going on... :mrgreen:

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:20 am

electrizer wrote:What can I say, your playing is always an inspiration! Just a question re your kit though. In some of the shots the tom mounts are shown and just out of curiosity wanted to know if those rods that the toms hang on can actually go into the drum? It's just surprising that a top of the line like the PHX doesn't offer the facility of non-intrusive tom mounting.

No sir they do not pierce the shell.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Yeah it's not the hat the concerns me, it's the left hand's lack of rebounding on backbeat strokes that I need to address.

I hear what you're saying but whatever works in one hand should theoretically work for the other...even in Trad, IMO. I've not played Trad in over an year on the kit, just to see if I could rework it on the pad...I really like what trad does on the kit and how it feels(when it feels good) but I've kind of decided it is inferior to matched in the left hand in many ways...My opinion being, it's just more challenging to get as many fingers on the stick to control it, besides I think most of the greats get it done with only the thumb(Vinnie comes to mind) ...but it's not impossible to make it technically work just as good as matched...which has been my goal in recent months. Peace
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:34 pm

The question is: why have it just like your right hand, especially on the drum set? For me, the whole point of using trad is having non-simmetric grips so I can work on different phrasings and kinda break from the whole RLRL approach. Sure, I can get an even sound if I want to and have worked on that for snare drum purposes, but on a full drum kit approach I just don't see the point in going too far down that road. I'd rather work on what makes each hand strong by itself.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat May 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Weck talks about the benefits here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... TpV0#t=110

Having said that, according to this guy - in the May/June issue of drum Weckl mentions come hand problems he and others are having as a result of years of traditional in high volume situations:
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/top ... onal-grip/

I have heard the same personally that he has said that but don't like to post heresy in the forums (too much). For casual guys that aren't gigging as much as Weckl I would surprised if problems arose, but maybe not. DiCenso is the only defender matched grip needs anyways. How one plays is only a very small part of the picture, what you play being obviously more important.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat May 03, 2014 6:23 pm

In regards to the first vid...The very thing Dave is talking about(going up onto the tip of the stick) is something I don't try to do at all...If fact, I've been reworking Trad on my pads for over a year just to get that "power postition" that Weck used to talk about on his old vids. Vinnie's Trad has always been near perfection as far as I can tell...and it's mesmerizing to watch...and I think that's apparent. But, IMO, with Vinnie, he doesn't go "up" or unflat to his snare...He controls the sh*t out of it, and the positioning of the stick to the snare is a big part of that. To get the "control" with the "power position", IMO, it's imperative that the thumb is mobilized and utilized to the fullest. And that's where I've always lacked... But my recent development is to slightly "curl" the thumb onto my index finger. That seems to 1. Keep contact between my thumb and index finger and 2. keep my thumb in a position to move freely along with the stick. That's just what works for me although I've not adapted that to the kit yet, although I have higher expectations that it would be "adaptable".

Jeez, that's a lot of "quotations". haha Peace.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat May 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Whenever Tony was going for something bombastic, he switched to matched grip. Tony was no fool.

DeJohnette had to give up playing traditional. That says a lot.

Return to “Drumming Chat”