Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

DeeP_FRieD

Re: Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Indu

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:You asked for examples of their ethical behavior, did you not? Copyright is only one of their chosen transgressions. It just happens to be the most damaging as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure why I even need to explain it. They make it easy for anyone to share artistic creations, whether they have the right to do it or not (and anonymously), and then they force the creator to police their own creation, and make it as difficult as possible (if not impossible) for them to go after the infringing party for reparations, or to have the art in question removed from search results.

AND NO ONE HAS BEEN DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Maybe things will change, but I somehow doubt it.

Every video sharing website does this.

The reason no one can do anything about it is because of the volume of uploads to services like these... I bet you they can barely keep up with the technical demand in regards to the hardware required perpetuate an infinitely growing mass of media.

Look it, I'm not trying to get into an argument over the evils of Google.
I was just trying to see how your argument relates to this thread, so let's get back to it.

-------
Although I think people are abusing YouTube, I know that it would be near impossible to really police all the videos on there without gigantic leaps in video and audio recognition algorithms or them hiring like 15,000 more employees.

YouTube states that they have:
100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute

That translates into 18,000 8 hour shifts a day.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 am

If people were held responsible for what they uploaded, it would change in an instant, even with no additional software filtering.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 am

What Paul said. Currently, Google is incentivized to allow copyrighted content, even though they give a nod to anti-piracy with their "we'll take it down if you point it out" stance: absolutely everything Google does has an end goal of driving eyeballs to ads, period. Search, mail, Glass, the Nest Acquisition ..

By definition the most popular content will get the most eyeballs, legally submitted or not.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:56 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:Google makes it's money of Advertising primarily, and although some of it's services are being used by people illegitimately, they offer most of their "creative content" for free. Maps, Android, Gmail, Docs...

Working my way backward through this thread, but again, every single one of the ventures you listed is directed at generating super-targeted, micro-tailored advertising. If I know the types of places you go (Maps), where you are right now (Android in your pocket), what you talk about (Gmail), and what the sorts of stuff your data concerns (Docs/Drive) -- and again, I don't mean in a "we're reading your email" sense, I mean in a Big Data, PCA sort of sense -- that stuff is *gold* to companies with limited advertising budgets.

It's not a coincidence I'm seeing adverts from Vic Firth wherever I happen to be surfing online.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Lucas Ives wrote:I don't mean in a "we're reading your email" sense

I do. Google's bots do go through email content to filter for keywords, make no mistake about it. Google has admitted as much. They feel that no one should have any expectation of privacy while using email. It's really incredible what they're getting away with.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Lucas Ives wrote:I don't mean in a "we're reading your email" sense

I do. Google's bots do go through email content to filter for keywords, make no mistake about it.

We're saying the same thing; in general there aren't boffins poring over your email personally, it's all automated data collection to build a statistical representation of the likelihood of you doing/buying various things.

(.. unless of course Google/MS think you're doing them a disservice and "need to get to the bottom of it" (i.e. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ser-emails))

In any case, any sort of true privacy expectation around using the internet via any sort of data/communication service is just whistling in the dark.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Lucas Ives wrote:It's not a coincidence I'm seeing adverts from Vic Firth wherever I happen to be surfing online.

I am very aware of this as I run a company's adwords account.

Let me pretext this again with the fact that I'm not so keen on Google's privacy practices; however, I will continue to play devil's advocate.

In all these arguments, people forget a few things.

First, you don't have to use google.
There are many privacy-centric search services and webmail sites.

Paul Marangoni wrote:If people were held responsible for what they uploaded, it would change in an instant, even with no additional software filtering.

When pirating was centering around things like Napster, if a party downloaded the file, they were liable.
When people are talking about piracy and video upload sites, I rarely see people mention the role of the end user who searches for and/or watches the illegal content, but I see them as guilty as the person that uploaded it...

How many videos do you think have been posted on this forum alone that were bootleg or unreleased live shows the artist didn't want out or tracks off an album that is still for sale?

Now, if you are truly worried about privacy, then you must stop using the internet entirely, as your isp is aggregating info on you at the closest level to you.

You could get a proxy or even better a vpn to conceal your identity.

Also, you'd better stop using that cell phone too as it's being harvested like crazy too, whether it be your provider or the company that made the OS.
Last edited by DeeP_FRieD on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 am

I agree with pretty much all of that.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm not worried about privacy. Privacy today is a fallacy. I'm concerned with Google getting away with copyright infringement. Sure, others are guilty too, but let's just start with Google. Once they're taken care of, everyone else will fall into place. We need to let creators get their rights back.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:I'm not worried about privacy. Privacy today is a fallacy. I'm concerned with Google getting away with copyright infringement. Sure, others are guilty too, but let's just start with Google. Once they're taken care of, everyone else will fall into place. We need to let creators get their rights back.

OK, so I will ask this again.

Where does Google infringe on copyright, other than offering a service some user chooses to do so upon?

Show me where they directly uploaded and shared content that was copyrighted.

This is a very simple question, please answer it directly and do not fly off on a tangent again.

Return to “Drumming Chat”