Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

Paul Marangoni

Re: Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Thank you for that non-sequitur captain obvious but that doesn't apply when laws are being broken. I can make exact copies of a twenty dollar bill, but that isn't going to cause the U.S. Dollar to lose value. It will only result in jail time.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:44 pm

There just isn't enough money around to support every shitty band and every shitty singer-songwriter out there. The mere fact that you're following the noble path of musical self-realisation doesn't entitle you to anything. When our band put out our second and third record it was available online on pirate sites ON THE SAME DAY. Do I care? I don't have time to fight windmills because I have a family and a day job, which even a wannabe pro musician shouldn't quit, as many insiders say. I know people who have invested thousands in their albums, but so what if each and every one of them is like a tree falling in the woods.

And the argument that "The relative lack of money for musicians makes for less good music." is totally fucking dumb because people don't go to music schools and spend countless hours in rehearsal rooms to record mediocre music. If they do they shouldn't claim remuneration for their work because they are hacks. If they don't, they just have to push at it. If Spotify is so evil and horrible why does EVERYBODY put their music there? Because it's a popular platform and everybody wants to get some by following the herd.

Paul there is what should be and also the reality. Work your arse off to put yourself on the map, is the way I see it. You may think I'm missing the point because I'm not talking about artists getting paid enough. I'm not talking about it because it's a given. Bowie wrote music in the car, on the way to and from gigs. Until you're that committed you shouldn't complain.

I can make exact copies of a twenty dollar bill, but that isn't going to cause the U.S. Dollar to lose value.

You don't have to because you privately-owned national bank does it daily, and the result is just that.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:12 am

At least 80% people follow trends regarless of if it makes sense or not. Not smart to see the whole perspetive, it's purely socially motivated and the essence of what's going on is far beyond them. You don't even reach 5% of what's needed to understand before complete cognitive disonace sets in.

This is the truth in my job as well. A public teaching gig that really should represemnt a higher standard.

It is about money, in a way, but that's just the result.

Social media is dragging us all down to the level of the weakest link in the chain.

Is there good stuff? Sure. Is it being appreciated on the deepest levels? Maybe not so much.

It's not like it wasn't like this before, but not everybody had a public opinion regarding stuff they did't know shit about.

When was jazz music considered a legitimate thing to study? Not long ago and some places it's still not, but who is now still at the top regulating the funds and attitudes, yeah, it's the old naysayers.

The soluion is to inform people, but most people don't want to be informed. They want to eat, sleep, fuck, drink and the most important thing, FIT IN.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:48 pm

electrizer wrote:
And the argument that "The relative lack of money for musicians makes for less good music." is totally fucking dumb because people don't go to music schools and spend countless hours in rehearsal rooms to record mediocre music. If they do they shouldn't claim remuneration for their work because they are hacks. If they don't, they just have to push at it. If Spotify is so evil and horrible why does EVERYBODY put their music there? Because it's a popular platform and everybody wants to get some by following the herd.

If someone can't make a living from music alone, he/she is not going to be spending the same amount of time on it as someone who could. Ipso facto the music that is created by these musicians will be inferior for the most part.

My posts are intended to make people aware of the FACTS as they pertain to the monetization, consumption, and distribution of profits from music. You obviously have a problem with that for some reason. Everyone should just accept things as they are? David Bowie wrote pop tunes in his car/taxi therefore unless someone is willing to do that, they have no right to expect anything. Forget about the fact that if David Bowie were starting out today, he wouldn't stand a chance in hell.

As for Spotify, they have a huge market share and that is why musicians place their music there, but don't forget that musicians place their music on ANY service that will potentially result in more ears hearing it, whether it pays or not. Spotify was created by people who have a history of illegal activity as it pertains to distribution of pirated music. They are still claiming that the company is in the red, as are the other streaming services.

I still believe that things can and will change. If you don't, that's fine, but please stop trying to defend or justify behavior that is not only unethical, but harms musicians.

electrizer wrote:Your privately-owned national bank does it daily, and the result is just that.

Have you seen the value of the U.S. dollar lately? The value of any currency, whether a commodity or a fiat currency, is only relative to what people think it's worth.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:10 pm

From 2012 to 2016, the revenues of Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon grew ~180 times faster than Fortune 500 companies overall; and from 2012-2017, the market value of these five companies tripled absolutely, and grew relatively three times more than the S&P 500 Index. See chart.

This is not a free market, but a favored market.

Google’s winner-take-all is consumers-down-fall.

http://precursorblog.com/?q=content/goo ... ll-results
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Net Neutrality is no more. Music stores will open once again! No more downloading any content cause all of those sites will be blocked. Downside it's going to cost $20 more for better Netflix streaming speed. Awesome. Interstate Commerce Clause. No one knows about that but they will. The government and ISP's are smacking their lips. More money and keep America dumb. fun. Congress is empowered to regulate and protect the instrumentalities of interstate commerce, or persons or things in Interstate Commerce, even though the threat may come only from intrastate activities. the network itself was largely already paid for with public funds? IPS's are just a utility. Why fuck over your customers. There is nothing stopping your isp from selling your data/information/searches to advertisers. Prepare to start getting cold calls during your dinner from someone trying to sell you a penis pump. Wal-Mart decides to advertise with your isp, so all of a sudden, Amazon in not accessible, or very slow, or only available after watching a 5 minute Wal-Mart commercial (or vice versa). Your telephone company can't limit the numbers you call, why should your isp limit the sites you can visit. What would you say if your phone company started to charge more when you called a hospital? This regulation shit is kinda fucked up.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 am

One of my fav podcasts on economy is EconTalk and it's being recommended on various sites as one of the best. This episode on "Modern Monopolies" is interesting because it's probably the first one I've heard where it gets slightly confrontational, and it is a place of serious, fact-based discussion.

If you're an author--and there are people that people used to make their living writing books, mid-level books. Or you are a band[?], right? Bands, you know, are getting just savaged, it's more by YouTube more than by any of the others. What's happened is this whole mid-tier of the artistic, creative community whose livelihoods have just been shattered. And there are large numbers of books that have not been written because there's no money in it any more. And that's a massive loss to the free flow of ideas in America. Beyond that, Amazon can choose, and does choose which books to put in front of you. So, they had a big fight with Hachette, where they just pulled Hachette's books off of their shelves. And, if you look for certain books, they will choose to promote other books in front of those books, through their recommendation engine. And so, they are manipulating the flow of information to you. They are manipulating the flow of ideas from author to reader in a way that we have never seen before. And that is incredibly dangerous. So, sure: If you are just looking at low consumer prices and your ability to just acquire books for cheap prices, you might say, 'What a great time to be alive!' Even though I don't think that Amazon's prices are necessarily that good. I think it's undeniable that they, as a consumer, it's an amazing platform. There are all sorts of aspects about who we are as a people, as a free people, as a creative people, as a people that have ideas, as a people that bring crops to market, that are incredibly disturbing. Amazon is not something that you want to see if you want to have a free society, if you want to have a democracy, if you want to have citizens who have any dignity.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2017/12/matt_stoller_on.html
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 am

As per Econ Talk...the government might be sinking but not craft beer...
if you listened to the whole podcast this will make sense;

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ry/550850/
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:17 am

Pocketplayer wrote:As per Econ Talk...the government might be sinking but not craft beer...
if you listened to the whole podcast this will make sense;

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ry/550850/

Actually the quote I'd pasted above is there because it refers to bands and authors, not craft beer, but... ok.

Return to “Drumming Chat”