Kids choosing video games or instruments...

chris perra

Re: Kids choosing video games or instruments...

Postby chris perra » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

I'd say video games don't really do much to stop someone from being a great drummer ..

All of my students play video games.... Talking with teachers that have taught for 20 plus years the ratio of students that actually practice and might go to music college ect is that same as it's always been ... Nothing has changed that way...

However I find that the internet has changed things a great deal for students that want to practice and be the best at their instrument..
The ones that are good are really good, way ahead of their time in most cases.. compared to me anyway...
Like others have said it comes down to interest and priorities...

It also comes down to feeding the ego.. If a kid gets his or her ego feed by playing music more than video games... then they will persue it...

No one really likes playing COD online if they suck bad at it. haha
I play all the time usually late at night I get why kids like to play video games,. I'm just as addicted.. However for most kids I teach, the parents limit their time.

Playing online with friends is great fun... Here's a video of my Horrible clan..

Warning!!!! lots of swearing!!!!

langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 am

I'd say out of all the guys I grew up with, played in HS marching band and orchestra with, I'm one of three or four that is still playing. Some are teaching and performing music...music, not drums.

But the reasons kids were getting into drums were so they'd have something to do in high school, not for some exalted reason of being a good drummer.

If it's fun to endure practicing and striving for being good, then someone is more likely to keep at it. That's the only way to keep people playing.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 am

videos games are great. had all the consoles when i was a kid. have a ps3, xbox and a wii. i mostly play PC games. obsessed with starcraft 2 and the expansion pack. still love playing drums and practice about 8 hours a week. there are lots of distractions these days. if kids take interest in an instrument and have talent they will get the bug and keep with it.
JayTee

Postby JayTee » Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 am

I personally think the answer is balance. I personally used to play a lot of N64 and PS2 in my youth, all the while listening to music. It's a great way to calm down after school/work and get into a different head space. Practice is only really effective if you're in the right mindset, so having a buffer like a video game to release some of the stress could be a good thing. One of the kids I teach has a games console next to his kit. If he get's frustrated at a certain exercise, he'll play a bit of FIFA or COD for a bit and then return. Having breaks like that seems pretty natural an healthy to me. It's when they start getting into games like WOW and spending all night gaming (as someone else mentioned) that problems start.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu May 02, 2013 5:43 am

The ratio of kids who practice in the schoolband is the same as always, However, there used to about 5 times as many kids playing in school bands, so someting has happened.

The kids in the music schools always used to practice. Why else would they be there and not just focus on fotball instead. Now most of them just want to be the next reality TV pop star without putting any work in. It's like they think the teacher can actually make the good without them working at home at all. Are they busy going other suff? Some of them are, but most of them are probably playing computer games, surfing facebook and watching illegal downloads, staying up so late that they can't even consentrate in the regular school, much less the music lessons in the evenings.

I've actually had had some fall almost fall asleep on top of the snare drum at the kit.

Another thing is that there's no culture around where they can pick up stuff and get inspired or challenged. Parents know less and care less than ever. It's all up to the 30 mins with the teacher, those weeks that they actually show up.

Because of lack in resources to get actual competent teachers, when you take over a position, you pretty much scratch your head for 2-3 years before anything real starts happening. There's so little base knowledge that as a teacher, if you want to do something fun and inspiring as a group you have almost nothing to work with and when you do stuff you often put in tons of energy without getting much back at all.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Thu May 02, 2013 6:46 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:I've actually had had some fall almost fall asleep on top of the snare drum at the kit.

I type like that all the time.

- I actually did just mess up what I wanted to type but I corrected it. :)
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 am

Being drummers, most of us if we practice in our house/residential neighborhood, cant practice after a certain time. I feel guilty sitting and playing video games if I have time to practice. So video games start when it gets dark. Granted, I am an adult who hopefully knows how to make a wise decision or two. lol
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Pad, brushes, transcribing, listening, watching clinics/concerts... There´s plenty to stuff to do after dark! (just saying)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri May 03, 2013 3:04 am

bstocky wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:I've actually had had some fall almost fall asleep on top of the snare drum at the kit.

I type like that all the time.

- I actually did just mess up what I wanted to type but I corrected it. :)

It's immortalised now, so best not to mess with it.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 am

Julian, of course there are things to do such as you mentioned. But in all honesty, after actually hitting the drums for a few hours practice during the day, its good to do other things. Im not a full on professional where Im recording all day then have to come home and practice for another 3 hours to learn new material. I work out on the pad sometimes, but i prefer to do most of my practicig on a drum. I also get the best out of instructional videos while i am actually behind a kit. I see what you are saying though.

Return to “Drumming Chat”