Steve Smith and Jojo Mayer duet at VF

Matthijs Ament

Re: Steve Smith and Jojo Mayer duet at VF

Postby Matthijs Ament » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Interesting, in the end it is also honest if folks 'piss all over' something. When people are passionate about something they'll come out strong. But bashing is never getting anywhere. I've got a cd here [Vitalization 2007] from Steve Smith where he does this konnakol duet with Pete Lockett on a track called 'Interwoven Rhythms'....pretty awesome performance. But I agree that the posted vid is not so great. And I don't agree that someone can 'only do this konnakol if one is a seasoned expert'. Steve Smith has so many musical ideas, sounds and concepts. He is like a bunch of drummers in one. That to me is awesome by itself.
Rene

Postby Rene » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 pm

First to say is that I agree with you. It's sometimes a risky business posting on this board. But .... what I missed in your original post was the reason for posting this video. Just a link to a video and a "enjoy"...... Well some do, some don't. It's not a Vinnie video. The chance people not liking it increases infinitely on this board. :-) So you get every possible comment and most likely the ones you're not waiting for...
And I agree with you that negative posts are the first to read after the original post. You mentioned that the video contains things everbody can learn from. Sharing your thoughts, asking for specific comments....
Other members most likely will respond constructively.

Honesty the use of konnakol was a bit out of context to my thoughts. Check for Trilok Gurtu. It's audience participation konnakol time around minute 7.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiTvkEQdK0o

René
ps what a terrible situation in Boston.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:15 pm

I think there is something wrong with ME. I liked it. I thought all different snare drums hitting at different times was kind of groovey and cool sounding.

I've heard Steve Smith do his voice thing before - it wasn't really a surprise. It can get a little overboard, but I don't think it ruined this whole piece of music...the more dominate part(s) was the beat and the displacements. It also wasn't overboard...something like this with two name-brand drummers can get out of hand (i.e. see gospel chops shed sessions) This was music, not a jizz-fest. It was short and sweet. I also liked when Simon and Gavin did their drum songs at that Guitar Center event. They both played parts that complimented each other...wow it was really good.

I would agree that some people on the board are so very cocky. Sometimes I think they think Vinnie and Weckl are the only two drummers that can do anything. I would only advise this: Just because something is perfect in execution, technique and sound doesn't mean it's a good piece of music. No hate mail please - I absolutely love Vinnie and Weckl..A-LOT....I just don't like fanboys. There are other great drummers out there...oh yes. :)
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:30 pm

My comment regarding the konnakol was coming from a listen-ability standpoint. It's just not pleasant to listen to for me personally. I sometimes wonder if he even considers that.
I've studied Smith's drumming for decades. Learned a lot from his playing. I'm a long time fan.

PEOPLE OFFENDED BY COCKINESS SHOULD STOP READING. IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE READING ME BEING COCKY CONTINUE READING:

As I got better and the mystery went away from Smith's playing, my tastes and "style" grew to the point where I started becoming disappointed with his playing and direction because I don't agree with it, or thought I could improve upon it. My musical and drumming priorities are different than his, and respectfully to him, sometimes I prefer mine.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Steve Smith's playing was a lot more interesting in his earlier days. The last ten years, not so much....he does keep evolving though, and there is something to be said about that. Now and again there are highlights, and I will always click the Steve Smith vids when they are on here. I still liked the duet w/Jojo.
vinoyarey

Postby vinoyarey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:40 am

i also don't get why steve smith had to sing it,just to show that he's playing indian rhythms? i thought they sing konokol to learn the rhythms,but singing while playing it? it's like singing tug tug pak tug etc.. while playing drums. guys who knows indian music please correct me
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 am

vinoyarey wrote:i also don't get why steve smith had to sing it,just to show that he's playing indian rhythms? i thought they sing konokol to learn the rhythms,but singing while playing it? it's like singing tug tug pak tug etc.. while playing drums. guys who knows indian music please correct me

I asked myself the same thing but konnakol and the recitation of 'bols' are two different things. To the best of my knowledge konnakol is a vocal performance while bols are for, as you stated, communicating a rhythmic composition to fellow musicians.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:22 am

Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 am

whats the point in negativity? does it really solve anything? no
Last edited by Randy Walker on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 am

...;)

Return to “Drumming Chat”