new Satriani cd

Paul Marangoni

Re: new Satriani cd

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 pm

I think you're safe for at least a year or two.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 am

Frank Sanchez wrote:I've never understood this, except that I do understand that Satriani needs a name to move his product. That said, when you have a guy like Vinnie playing, why subject us to tunes that ANY DRUMMER WHO FREQUENTS HOD could play? Feature the guy, especially if you want us to shell out money! That tune was a YAWN fest from beginning to end. As my kids say: EPIC FAIL!

Uh, I'm going to disagree. Laying down a "simple" rock groove with authority isn't so simple.
You pay the big boys to get it right in one take and then move on to the next song.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:06 am

chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:26 pm

If you keep your sticks in a humidified room you'll have a better chance.. somewhere around 45 to 50% hudimidy
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm

What about one of those cigar humidors?
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 am

The Marangoni Stick Humidor, helping the discerning reach perfection one stick at a time. $79.95 + shipping.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am

Hahaha! Never mind, I bet you it would sell!
Manu

Postby Manu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 pm

bstocky wrote:
Frank Sanchez wrote:I've never understood this, except that I do understand that Satriani needs a name to move his product. That said, when you have a guy like Vinnie playing, why subject us to tunes that ANY DRUMMER WHO FREQUENTS HOD could play? Feature the guy, especially if you want us to shell out money! That tune was a YAWN fest from beginning to end. As my kids say: EPIC FAIL!

Uh, I'm going to disagree. Laying down a "simple" rock groove with authority isn't so simple.
You pay the big boys to get it right in one take and then move on to the next song.

This. I read Satch had trouble choosing between all of Vinnie's takes because they all were awesome but with something different and great about them. I am sure he had him do 2 or 3 per song and Vinnie nailed them all. In fact I know he hated Manu Katche's input in one of his albums, he doesn't want drummers to come to the session and be themselves but to do what he has in his demos . Period. Vinnie delivered that for certain, Joe was satisfied.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Joe Satriani's new album with Vinnie C laying down a simple rock groove...are kidding me? Of course I'm getting it...a clinic on how to play for the tune from a guy who can turn a tune inside out from the drum throne...nice...hope he cuts loose a tad, too.

Nice to hear that Vinnie isn't playing this tune much different than I, or any of us, would have played it. Vinnie is probably not doing the tour, so *maybe* Joe was doing his touring drummer(s) a favor by having Vinnie keep it simple for the guitar melodies and riffage to be the focus.

After Vinnie on the Jeff Beck tour...it's not all that great with others.

I do hope there are some tunes where he cuts loose. I ordered the album from Amazon....reasonably priced...
http://www.amazon.com/Unstoppable-Momen ... B00BSWMITK

Rob
druid13

Postby druid13 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Manu wrote:
bstocky wrote:

This. I read Satch had trouble choosing between all of Vinnie's takes because they all were awesome but with something different and great about them. I am sure he had him do 2 or 3 per song and Vinnie nailed them all. In fact I know he hated Manu Katche's input in one of his albums, he doesn't want drummers to come to the session and be themselves but to do what he has in his demos . Period. Vinnie delivered that for certain, Joe was satisfied.

TTttthhhaaats a shame...that Satriani album was my favorite BY FAR....did not sound so polished it was played by machines and it showed a different bluesy side to his guitar playing...Manu was great. That album had character.

Hearing that new clip the first thing that came to mind was " I can love Vinnie while not love everything he has played on"....I've played with people like this too ...guitarists who just want a bland thing to noodle all day over...bass player on root note and snore for 5 minutes....and they were not the stature of Joe Satriani....bleh...I get the discipline of laying it down but I don't like to have to like listening to it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”