One Way Out- Allman Brothers

willyz

One Way Out- Allman Brothers

Postby willyz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Out of curiosity, how would you guys approach this tune? Two drummers and percussion- would you compensate with a busier groove? It's a tempo that can be ran away with pretty quickly with a particular feel. I think a simple groove with mainly quarter notes and 8th note accents on the ride along with the back beat could work too.

May bust out the click for this tune in some upcoming gigs.
Got Blushda?
langmick

Re: One Way Out- Allman Brothers

Postby langmick » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 pm

The star of this tune is the slide, I'd lay out and keep it solid, business would get in the way. Some interaction during the solo.

I wonder what to call the beat that is alternating doubles between the SD and BD, second snare note ghosted.

That's what I'd play. I'd def push the band too.

I'm reading his autobiography...man has lived enough for ten lives...
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:16 am

listen to how Todd does it with Styx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOGravZXemk
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

It is very fast if you play the 8th notes on the ride, but to me, it sounds a little corny if its not played that way. My shoulder is usually ready to fall off by the time the end of the tunes comes. If I get fatigued on a particular night, I will do the quarter note- 8th note accent thing you mentioned, to break it up slightly - but again, I try not too. That ride pattern just keeps that rolling feel. If it's not there its choppy to my ears. The rest of the tune just keep simple like the others have mentioned. The tune is rolling by too fast to get fancy. I did like the way Todd did it with Styx - definitley more rock-oreiented.

I tend to keep the little solo section simple as well. I put some left hand tom figures in for spice - but again, it's pretty simple. A little flapadapflap dap dap dap to get out and then the slide solo. Let the guitar player have their fun and keep it chugging.

I have to say, the guys always throw this song at me the last song of a set. Maybe that's why I don't like it too much!! I'd rather have the energy and do at the beginning of a set. I know, shut up drummer.
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah, the 8ths need to be there. Todd's breaking them up with some 16ths which probably helps alot. Actually, having that auxiliary hat proves to be very useful in a tune like this.

Good stuff, gents.
Got Blushda?
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:24 pm

I liked how the Jaimoe and Butch would flip the downbeat every once in a while, kept it bouncy and not static-y.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:03 pm

It screams Second Line to me. What Butch does seems to have that in mind too.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 pm

That song is a serious barn burner.

I agree that it needs that eighth note feel to sound 'right'.

It comes in between 212 and 214 BPM. No picnic, as others have indicated.

Here's the most well known version from "Eat A Peach"...

AllenS

Postby AllenS » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Randy Walker wrote:listen to how Todd does it with Styx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOGravZXemk

Love this version....
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:45 am

I'm sure to ruffle a few feathers with this one. Let me preface...I was in college when EAP was THE hot album alongside the Fillmore sides. I flipped!!! Nothing sounded like this before, or since for that matter. I eventually found myself in bands that would do some of these tunes (OWO, Jessica, Ramblin Man etc...) and was always trying to come up with ways to "simulate" that special thing that Butch and Jaimo did that propelled those songs sooo well. I looked firstly to where this stuff comes from. It's not a rock thing or R&B or Blues, Jazz, N'awlins...any of that stuff; yet, it's all of that stuff. It's more of a vibe thing than a groove thing yet it grooves like a mutha. See where I'm going with this? First off, the time needs to float a little...and it does need to be a bit on the busy side but not overboard. Yes, there is that flowing 8th thing going on, but to be most effective in simulating two drummers I wouldn't be thinking about carrying it solely in the RH, but breaking it up in the hands and RF while keeping the backbeat happening. Who influenced these guys and where did they come from? THAT's where you find the key to this music. Don't over analyze it...the ABB is a jam band and draws from a lot of musical heritage and while the forms are quite structured, the playing is freely improvised. You have to keep your ears open and keep that dialogue going with your bandmates. I dig where Todd S is coming from (although I prefer it to be a tad more "organic" and not so much like an arena thing)...this is similar to how I approach it...nothing is static and there's plenty of forward motion without the tempo flying out the window. The double (and occasional triple) snare ghost notes are part of the key to the simulation as well as "time" fills with various flams and unconventional leanings (without heading into Vinnie-land) while remaining grounded in 2 & 4. Played loosely and slightly imprecise creates that vibe. It's the blues...it shouldn't be a cerebral thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClNEf_nF3I&feature=youtu.be

Return to “Drumming Chat”