Kinda OT: P90x and other workout systems

Julián Fernández

Kinda OT: P90x and other workout systems

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:23 am

Hi guys, how are you?

We don´t discuss workout that much... There´s a lot to be said about being healthy and playing drums and I´m ready to push the envelop a little bit...

Any of you guys tried some of this at-home workout systems? Any comments or advice?

Cheers!

J.
Matus

Re: Kinda OT: P90x and other workout systems

Postby Matus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:40 am

While touring Europe we did the Insanity Workout every day after soundcheck and I have to say I was impressed by how well thought the program is. You just do it along with the video and the idea is to do the whole routine, even if you have to take breaks, so you do all the stretching and back to calm phases. Haven't really tried any other program, but this one really works if you don't go kill yourself over it on the first day.
Sports and working out is really important for me. I go to the gym every morning, do about 20 min cardio and then some weight, working on a different group each day. And on wednesday I also play basketball for an hour. I'm the kind of guy who played sports every single day while growing up. Soccer, basketball, handball, karate, tennis, you name it, so there's really something lacking in my life if I'm not doing something on a regular basis. And my playing got really physical for harder music a few years ago, so I need the extra stamina, even having a fairly good hand technique.
Oh, I also use a good part of Virgil's Power Drumming routine when I can spend some extra time on the kit. Today I did most of the single stroke section, works wonders on your stamina and accuracy.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Check the less positive customer reviews on amazon to see most of my thoughts on that book ;)
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Matus wrote:Check the less positive customer reviews on amazon to see most of my thoughts on that book ;)

First of all, there aren't that many negative reviews (for a book on Amazon) and all of them are commented on. Secondly, it really works, but it's really, really, REALLY, hard to do. I was only able to maintain it for a few months, and I wasn't even doing it 100% accurately. But it's worth reading to understand what is really happening with your body and how weight training helps (and is necessary) with fitness.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Books fun.
Last edited by Kurtis on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:11 pm

The same you may say about almost any subject (drumming included!)... Motivation is always a plus and I don`t wanna spend time figuring something out if someone else already did... That´s why buying dvds or books works (at least for me). I don´t wanna become a pro, just to challenge me a little more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Fun
Last edited by Kurtis on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Just curious... Do you own any drum book? Guess not... You figure it out all by yourself, right? Drumming is not quantum mechanics. so. why not?
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Ears. No books.

Return to “Drumming Chat”