speed test

percusski

speed test

Postby percusski » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:27 am

This is a page from a grade syllabus in the uk that one of my students is preparing for, rudimental requirements for grade 7 and 8 (the faster tempo marking). The drag paradiddle and the drag and stroke are the ones in question...I'm no slouch hands-wise but these are seriously fast tempi...what do you guys think...easy, hard..or have they made a mistake notating 1/4s instead og 1/2 notes re tempo marking? The funny thing is other rudiments are not consistent, i.e. much easier to play.

percusski

Re: speed test

Postby percusski » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 pm

I forgot to say that the drag paradiddle isn't even a true drag paradiddle, at least as far as PAS are concerned!
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Oh.
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:26 pm

I have personally never seen reference to a "drag paradiddle" with a drag for a pick up. As you stated, according to the Vic Firth / PAS 40, what you have presented is not part of the standard category of rudiments: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php As notated, it is ridiculous to play at the speeds requested.
Paradiddles with drags on the PA would be called "The Dragadiddle," number 35 on the list. My guess is this is what was intended, but it is not written correctly. Also, putting the drag on the RA is a common variation but it is not listed in the 40.

I find 16 and 17 also to be quite bizarre and of extremely limited value. They too are not part of the standard 40. As notated, at tempo, 16, the "drag stroke" is basically impossible or at the very least thoroughly rediculous. You questions about them are quite understandable. As presented, 2 of 3 are essentially impossible to execute and all 3 are of very little value, IMHO of course.
Last edited by matthughen on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:Image

Oh.
:lol:
moose

Postby moose » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:02 am

Oh.

3ms ping time? Do you have the server in your basement?
percusski

Postby percusski » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:18 am

matthughen wrote:I have personally never seen reference to a "drag paradiddle" with a drag for a pick up. As you stated, according to the Vic Firth / PAS 40, what you have presented is not part of the standard category of rudiments: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php As notated, it is ridiculous to play at the speeds requested.
Paradiddles with drags on the PA would be called "The Dragadiddle," number 35 on the list. My guess is this is what was intended, but it is not written correctly. Also, putting the drag on the RA is a common variation but it is not listed in the 40.

I find 16 and 17 also to be quite bizarre and of extremely limited value. They too are not part of the standard 40. As notated, at tempo, 16, the "drag stroke" is basically impossible or at the very least thoroughly rediculous. You questions about them are quite understandable. As presented, 2 of 3 are essentially impossible to execute and all 3 are of very little value, IMHO of course.

Christ I'm glad someone else said that and I didn't get 20 responses saying it was a piece of piss...I felt like a right tit trying to demonstrate in the lesson, way below the tempo marking. I said to him to ask the examiner to demonstrate it during the exam...maybe Buddy put the syllabus together :lol: ...drag and strokes at 170...
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am

moose wrote:

Oh.

3ms ping time? Do you have the server in your basement?

Haha, not quite, but I do have a fiber connection that kicks ass :)

(The provider's slogan is 'Welfare starts at 50Mb/s')
percusski

Postby percusski » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 am

I'd be grateful if others could chime in on this with their thoughts...but not about internet connection speeds which I'm not interested in.cheers.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:07 am

Those tempo markings are pretty intense... Can´t play them. I guess is a mistake?

Return to “Drumming Chat”