'Secrets' reissue

Clint Hopkins

'Secrets' reissue

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:26 pm

Secrets is the sixth studio album by Allan Holdsworth, released in 1989 through Intima Records; a remastered edition was reissued in 2008 through Allan's own Eidolon Efformation. This album will be re-issued in 2014 by MoonJune records with extensive loner notes by one of the top jazz writers in the world and testimonies from Jimmy Johnson, Vinnie Colaiuta, Gary Husband and the engineer Robert Feist, in a digipack multi-panel format.

http://moonjunerecords.bandcamp.com/album/secrets
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: 'Secrets' reissue

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am

I was disappointed that the drum mix was basically the same on the last re-issue. The BD is pretty weak in the mix I think.

Obviously an amazing recording regardless. City Nights is an amazing recording, but I think Joshua is another shining example of Vinnie's aggressive unique style.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Holdsworth Novak style...

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:42 pm

+1 on the mix, Steve. They should have done some tweaking on the remaster for sure.

I am kinda bugged that they haven't included alternate takes or extra tracks that might have been recorded during the sessions.
percusski

Postby percusski » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:43 pm

Clint Hopkins wrote:+1 on the mix, Steve. They should have done some tweaking on the remaster for sure.

I am kinda bugged that they haven't included alternate takes or extra tracks that might have been recorded during the sessions.

there probably weren't any other takes lol
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm

"Secrets" is the Bibble, and yeah "Joshua", damn...
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm

percusski wrote:
Clint Hopkins wrote:+1 on the mix, Steve. They should have done some tweaking on the remaster for sure.

there probably weren't any other takes lol

There probably wasn't on a lot of it, however:
RF: With all you have recorded, which songs are most representative of you?
VC: "City Nights" off of Allan Holdsworth's Secrets, because it was spontaneous. It was a first take and it was my introduction to recording with him. It indicated a lot of experience for me in terms of being able to become what the music needed me to become-- instantly --and just playing completely uninhibitedly. It was a nice, transcendent kind of feeling of arriving somewhere collectively. Most of that stuff was first and second takes, and we just had to choose between the two.
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Never been a super Novak fan but now i am!
Thats great fusion drumming right there with Holdsworth, really great!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:21 pm

You're not fan of his work with Corea Electric Band II ? :o
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Always loved AH. He gets amazing players to play with him. He gives them a canvas and says do what you do. Secrets is one of those recordings that comes once in a lifetime. the musicians on that recording where at the right age at the right time to get together and put out some amazing music. doesn't happen that often. vinnie made the recording come to life. so many ideas in his head and he could pull them off. To think up his ideas is impossible. he's the most interesting and unique musician on the planet. the fill on Don't Ask Me by Nik K. no one comes close to his abstract vocabulary. he's a genius. albert einstein would speak highly of him.

Return to “Drumming Chat”