KickPort

Matthijs Ament

KickPort

Postby Matthijs Ament » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Last week I bought a Kickport and I put it on a Gretsch 22/18" bass drum. It should do all kind of things. Getting more focus in the overall drum sound and more sub freq.'s Also it should enhance the feel or touch of the batter head. I've been checking out some youtoobe vids and from what I hear there…the port seems to 'eat' bottom end and sustain instead of enhancing it. I can't make up my mind about this thing. Are there board members with thoughts about this product? Cheers!
willyz

Re: KickPort

Postby willyz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 pm

We'd put one on a kit every now and then when I worked at GC- I think it's great for un-mic'd situations, especially if you're going for the 'click' sound.

I think it's really the sort of thing that'll make a cheaper kick drum sound better... but that's just me.
Got Blushda?
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Anyone scoped the kick port for cajon in person?
http://kickport.com/cajonport/

I'm interested to hear one.
Jay Alsman

Postby Jay Alsman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:36 am

It's going to sound odd, but after experimenting quite a bit with one, tightening the front head more than you think you should or normally want to, gives the best sound with the kickport. I tried normal tension, loose,really loose...and wasn't getting a full deep low end like I was hoping for(and had witnessed/played at NAMM). Then I read somewhere online to try tightening the front head tighter than normal, and it worked pretty well. I'm guessing the dampening from the rubber eliminates the higher frequencies when tight, leaving the low pitch there and amplifying it. But when you have the head loose, it can't do what it is supposed to do?(Guessing). Worth a try if you haven't already. Let me know if it helps. This was on a 18x20 N & C CD Maple for reference. Evans Emad on batter, front was the head that comes in the Emad kit.
Some not so recent playinghttp://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ScottPazera.. track 7
Jay Alsman

Postby Jay Alsman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:38 am

I did hear the Cajon Port at NAMM when it was still a prototype(2010 I think?) I wanted to buy it on the spot, but they weren't selling it. It sounded great!
Some not so recent playinghttp://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ScottPazera.. track 7
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Jay Alsman wrote:I did hear the Cajon Port at NAMM when it was still a prototype(2010 I think?) I wanted to buy it on the spot, but they weren't selling it. It sounded great!

I'm really hesitant to buy one because I read that they're one size fit's all and use velcro spacers to achieve that.
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:16 am

It does make perfect sense to use this device in a cajon. It would do the same thing as in a speaker box. I think a played with a percussionist who self-made a 'kickport' and the effect was huge. It bugs me that I don't hear the same impact on a bassdrum. I did tune the reso head higher and the sound was nice but it did not provide for more bottom end. Also I wonder why there is no kickport for 20" bassdrums. :|
Matus

Postby Matus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:52 pm

I've used it for a year or so with my 18"x20" Yammy MCA. Our engineer raves about it. We actually A-Bd the sound with the mic on and flat EQ and it does make a difference in the sound if your drum has a certain tone to it (which is how I use it). Makes it sound angrier in the low range and more defined in the mids. The soft bands got worn out, which made a plastic noise so I removed it and I don't really miss it, but our sound man does ask about it from time to time.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

I have one on my performing kit and i love it because now my front head doesn't get ripped up by poor bass drum mic placement by whatever sound guy happens to be there.

As far as sound, i'd say it helps everything just a little bit as long as you're not a super loose tuning guy or a pillow packer.

The price could come down about $20 too...

Return to “Drumming Chat”