Gretsch Solid Steel snare drum

Paul Marangoni

Re: Gretsch Solid Steel snare drum

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am

The new Lightning throw-off (and adjustable butt end) uses new screws that work with drum keys. They're not made of the best metal though. One of mine broke when I swapped out the wires (over torqued it and the head snapped off). I went to a hardware store and picked up the normal slotted screws, but in stainless steel. Gretsch sent me a bunch of replacement drum key screws once I emailed them, which was nice.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 am

See, that kind of thing drives me insane. You know what you're doing. You know how to tighten a screw. Ludwig and Gretsch have 50 billion of these old junk strainers that they're still putting on new drums. It's ridiculous. Everything on a drumset should be adjustable with just your fingertips or a drumkey and nothing should be stripping or breaking.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 am

Me too. It's inexcusable how they opt for cheap materials/design where it really counts.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks guys, you confirmed my option with the BB, merci.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:The new Lightning throw-off (and adjustable butt end) uses new screws that work with drum keys. They're not made of the best metal though. One of mine broke when I swapped out the wires (over torqued it and the head snapped off). I went to a hardware store and picked up the normal slotted screws, but in stainless steel. Gretsch sent me a bunch of replacement drum key screws once I emailed them, which was nice.

That's great news. I've been waiting for that.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”