Jo Jones!

Steve Michaud

Jo Jones!

Postby Steve Michaud » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:13 am

One of my students sent me this. I had never seen it before. I thought it was quite unique--such joyful expression on the drums!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANTTBvIXmI
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Jo Jones!

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 am

Wow, that's some cool footage.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:09 pm

I've never seen that before and I have A LOT of Papa Jo footage. It's interesting to compare that performance with this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QFNNk3tgI

Papa Jo definitely had his bag of "licks" (vocabulary.) And I agree with you Steve that is the "joy of creating music" personified, right there.

I told someone this recently; I was interviewing Sam Ulano a while back, and when he played a closed roll, it IMMEDIATELY reminded me of Papa Jo. Those two guys had the most beautiful closed rolls that I have ever heard/seen. I felt the same way when I heard Eddie Locke riding a half open hi hat. I immediately told Eddie, "Wow that sounds JUST like Papa Jo!!!" He smiled and replied, "Where do you think I learned it?"

I used to show a similar clip to young drummers at master classes, and before I played it, I would ask them who "the first" jazz drummer to use a left hand floor tom was? Most (expectedly) said Weckl, then I would pop in a Papa Jo clip. There is very little "new" under the sun.

Here's an interesting observation of that clip. That snare a 4x14 Black Beauty was given to Billy Cobham, and Billy used it on "Inner Mounting Flame." It eventually found it's way to John Riley, and I think Riley sold it (recently.) But that is the first clip I've seen of Papa Jo playing that drum.

A nice follow up to watching that clip, is to listen to Jo Jones "The Drums." It must be online somewhere, and it's VERY educational!!!!

Thanks for posting that Rev!
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:05 pm

I was fortunate enough to see Elvin on several occasions...he sported that same joyous smile as Papa Jo.
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 am

Those were the days when Jazz guys were Rock stars!

Just check this next video out with bodying and tell me that showmanship is for idiots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtMcQlJvMc

MP
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 pm

Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:21 am

Yesyesyes!

Return to “Drumming Chat”