DW Frequent Flyer Series

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: DW Frequent Flyer Series

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm

I would like to one time be pleasantly surprised by the sound of DW toms. Oh well.

Snares and kick usually sound good though! And Peter sound good as always!
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:46 pm

I have one thing to add to this.

Peter has to be one of the best tuners out there.

He came to a community college I went to about 12 years ago. The college had this beaten down stage custom, 20" kick, 10" and 14" toms, and a crap aluminum 14" snare.
He brought new Remo heads, and had that set sounding like a million dollars in like 30 minutes. I'm not talking like cheap drums sounding good, but to this day one of the best acoustic impressions I've received from a kit.

No one touched a lug at the school for like 6 months after that.

My point is, in this video, either he just rolled in with some cymbals, tuned lightly, and fired away, or he sat down and did them up.

I don't think he did them up as he never uses clear bass drum heads or seems to tune his kick that low.

I think a tech, with a more pop/rock background, set them up prior and Erskine just adjusted them the best he could... who knows what his incentive was to come down there or what he had going that day, but, as many of you may well know, if you play jazz on a rock tuned kit it doesn't sound that great, which could be contributing to everyone's overall impression of the drums in a negative way.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 am

I'd say there was very little set up... It's odd. Most of DW's promo has that same approach.. Amazing players.. less than average sound..

I do like the promo Peter Erskine did for the DW Jazz series kits.. That sounded great. One of the few that DW has...
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 am

Steve Holmes wrote:I would like to one time be pleasantly surprised by the sound of DW toms. Oh well.

Snares and kick usually sound good though! And Peter sound good as always!

Did you hear the Design series? I kinda like those depending on the video though...and of course the Gretsch knock-offs...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”