what do drummers need to know about pedals?

john lamb

what do drummers need to know about pedals?

Postby john lamb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:09 pm

What do drummers need to know about pedals?

I'm writing an article about bass drum pedals from the point of view that understanding how things work helps you use it better. So how do bass drum pedals work? What specific things about the pedal do you find to be the most misunderstood and which are the most important to understand for the effective use of the pedals?
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Julián Fernández

Re: what do drummers need to know about pedals?

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:47 am

DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:21 pm

I've been thinking about finally dropping some coin on a legit pedal.

I've literally been playing on these for the last 10 years: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/hardware/footpedals/fp7210a/?mode=model
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 pm

It's not about the pedal. It's the person playing it
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:53 pm

DeeP_FRieD wrote:I've been thinking about finally dropping some coin on a legit pedal.

I've literally been playing on these for the last 10 years: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/hardware/footpedals/fp7210a/?mode=model
That pedal is legit.
You know, I have the axis and demon drive. I said screw them and I am using my old double chain Yamaha pedal from the late 90's. Which is similar to yours, just a bit heavier.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 am

Anything with a bottom plate. I like the DW9000 very, very much. But I agree with Kurtis. Don't turn a simple thing as a drum pedal into rocket science. I didn't see the Sonor vid but whatever Jojo is saying about anything related to drum technique is true. We have a great HOD member, Pete [?] who knows more about bassdrumpedals than anyone I've ever met.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:28 am

Any pedal that I can use the spikes with... I don't use them to keep the pedal from moving, I use them to elevate the front of the pedal. Changes the feel to something I like more...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:53 am

I am afraid it's getting off-topic but I actually believe it's better to understand the phyisicality of leg ankle and foot because they are the ones that drive the pedal, not the other way around.

Short of a pedal that is totally mechanically jacked up for whatever reason, I play more or less the same way with any pedal that is under my foot.

I went through the whole thing - started with a chain drive, then a Trick direct drive and now back to the chain. For me, I didnt make a whole lot of difference. I can understand the guys that play speed metal may want to examine a pedal that is ultra-adjustable.

The most important part of the mechanics of a pedal for me is the swing of the beater. I need a good amount of swing. But not too much.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:00 am

A lot of cats are turning to JoJo´s pedal... Gonna need to try it anytime soon...
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 am

For me it's all about smoothness of action and minimizing resistance, I don't like any hitch or eccentric rotation in the beater motion.

When adjusting I go for a throw and spring tension that make me feel the same sort of rebound I get from a stick, so when I play a double with my right foot it "feels the same" as playing one with my hand.

Have been playing the Flying Dragon w/ strap drive for a long time.

Return to “Drumming Chat”