what do drummers need to know about pedals?

john lamb

Re: what do drummers need to know about pedals?

Postby john lamb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 am

Cymbalfeltfetishist wrote:I am afraid it's getting off-topic but I actually believe it's better to understand the phyisicality of leg ankle and foot because they are the ones that drive the pedal, not the other way around.

Short of a pedal that is totally mechanically jacked up for whatever reason, I play more or less the same way with any pedal that is under my foot.

I went through the whole thing - started with a chain drive, then a Trick direct drive and now back to the chain. For me, I didnt make a whole lot of difference. I can understand the guys that play speed metal may want to examine a pedal that is ultra-adjustable.

The most important part of the mechanics of a pedal for me is the swing of the beater. I need a good amount of swing. But not too much.

Not off topic at all! The section on pedal mechanics is an offshoot of the main article on physiology.

That being said, I do think the design of the pedal matters.... especially the location of the hinge in the footboard. Joe Morello uses a hinge that is placed farther forward than most and I think it facilitates his technique. Anyone have thoughts about this in particular?
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
deseipel

Re: what do drummers need to know about pedals?

Postby deseipel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 am

I used DW5000s for years (before they got really heavy) and then Pearl Eliminators with strap drives and now the Malleus direct drive pedals. lately, I've been noticing that beater weight seems to be a large factor or variable in the whole equation. That, and the footboard length. I like standard felt beaters, but I've noticed that I seem to play better with weighted beaters.

Return to “Drumming Chat”