Matt Chamberlain filling in Soundgarden?

JayD

Matt Chamberlain filling in Soundgarden?

Postby JayD » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:50 am

I saw a quick tweet from Matt Chamberlain today that he's in rehearsals with Soundgarden- but it was immediately deleted??? Be cool if it's true!!!
amoergosum

Re: Matt Chamberlain filling in Soundgarden?

Postby amoergosum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:14 am

JayD wrote:I saw a quick tweet from Matt Chamberlain today that he's in rehearsals with Soundgarden- but it was immediately deleted??? Be cool if it's true!!!

>>>

Reunited grunge legends SOUNDGARDEN played their first show with veteran drummer Matt Chamberlain last night (Thursday, March 27) in Lima, Peru. Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be seen below.

Chamberlain is filling in for Matt Cameron on the band's 2014 tour dates, including SOUNDGARDEN's upcoming summer trek with NINE INCH NAILS. Cameron is sitting out the shows shows due to his live commitments with his other group, PEARL JAM. Chamberlain was briefly a member of PEARL JAM himself, joining the band for some touring in 1991 before the release of its debut album, "Ten". He can be seen in the video for "Alive".

SOUNDGARDEN singer Chris Cornell and bassist Ben Shepherd told The Pulse Of Radio that Cameron can step back into the lineup whenever he feels like it. "Whenever he wants to come out, he's coming out," Cornell said. "And he can change his mind, you know, and we can take out a..." Shepherd interjected: "We got another guy with the same initials playing drums for us, so it makes it really easy." Cornell added: "I'm not really sure what his schedule is. For sure though, when we start working on whatever our next record will be, and any decision we make, he's an absolute member of the band, you know."

Chamberlain has appeared on more than 200 records as a session drummer, recording and touring with artists such as Tori Amos, Peter Gabriel, the WALLFLOWERS, Fiona Apple, Kanye West, Elton John, Natalie Merchant, John Mayer, Shakira and many others. He was also a member of the "Saturday Night Live" house band during the 1991-1992 season.

Cameron announced last November that he would sit out SOUNDGARDEN's 2014 tour dates due to his PEARL JAM commitments as well as his desire to spend more time with his family at home.

SOUNDGARDEN's co-headlining summer trek with NINE INCH NAILS kicks off on July 19 in Las Vegas, finishing up on August 25 in Los Angeles.

Source:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/soundg ... available/

willyz

Postby willyz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:37 am

YEAH! Both those dudes kill it, obviously- what great talents they are. Super hip drumming.

Love seeing the traditional grip and old Gretsch kit in this context!
Got Blushda?
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:59 am

Wow, both Matt C's will have played in both Soundgraden AND Pearl Jam. Great gigs to have!

Every Pearl Jam drummer has been top-notch, but my favorite has to be Dave Abbruzzese. Truly a monster!
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Wow. I'm thinking of the opening track of Brad Mehldau's Largo and Soundgarden at the same time....having a tough time with that one....
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:13 am

I like Matt Chamberlain but I'd be very hesitant to purchase a ticket.
Matt Cameron is an essential part of Soundgarden. He has always been THE drummer
for Soundgarden, but not THE drummer for Pearl Jam in my opinion.

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:11 am

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am

Hmmmm....no, it just doesn't feel right. I just watched this new clip here.
Matt Cameron is essential when it comes to Soundgarden.

>>>

2014 (Matt Chamberlain):

2012 (Matt Cameron):

Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I love both guys for different reasons. I think that if you're going to make the point that Cameron is the only drummer for Soundgarden, I'd be inclined to agree. Mostly because he's the only drummer that's been in that band for however many years. It was mentioned that he's not as essential to Pearl Jam, probably because in their heyday they went through a couple of different drummers, so we don't associate a certain sound or groove to that music coming from a drumming standpoint because it's never been consistent. Although Cameron has been playing with PJ for a really long time, he wasn't on their early, seminal records. It reminds me when Phil Rudd wasn't playing with AC/DC and Chris Slade was the drummer. The music is still great, but there's that THING that's missing. We get that. But I don't think that casual fans really care. Black Sabbath just recorded with Brad Wilk recently, and I don't think aside from super diehard Sabbath fans that the record buying public really noticed or gave a shit. Anytime Plant and Page get together, people love it. Bonham, in their own words was the heart of that band, but Phil Collins can step in at live aid and the audience is into it. I saw the Plant & Page tour in high school when Michael Lee was the drummer an it was awesome. I'm a drummer, so I get why we are integral to the sound of a band, but in this case, I think the appeal of seeing Soundgarden live is to hear Chris Cornell singing his ass off and hearing all those kick ass songs from years ago in person.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm all for playing the way you're comfortable, but why IN THE HELL would you play TRAD in Soundgarden.....UGH.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”