Improving quality of in-ear monitoring

electrizer

Improving quality of in-ear monitoring

Postby electrizer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:17 pm

How many of you guys use a mixer with instruments plugged in via line in/out? I have been trying to set it up nicely but I find it extremely difficult to get satisfactory quality of sound. What I get fed into my mixer are two guitars (mono) plugged into pre-amped channels. Not sure if it's the fact that it's mono, or that's how line out sounds like, or my headphones (I use Shures SE215), but no matter how hard I try tweaking the sound on my mixer it always sounds like crap and I end up taking the phones out and putting my earplugs in, trying to listen to floor monitors. Truth be told, I use quite a cheap Behringer Eurorack mixer, but does it make SUCH a difference?

How do you guys monitor the sound? I was rather thinking of alternatives to a proper wireless monitoring system as it costs an arm and a leg, so a mixer is a cheaper option but wanted to learn what a proper monitoring rack should consist of. A mixer + additional amplifier, a limiter, equaliser? What?

I would really appreciate help on that as it's something has bothered me and hindered my playing live for quite some time.

Many thanks!
Matus

Re: Improving quality of in-ear monitoring

Postby Matus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Direct lines from guitar amps will most likely sound like crap. You could do a whole lot of things to improve a direct amp sound in your mixer, but I think it's too much trouble for not such a good result. But let's go step by step.
First: wired monitoring sounds better than wireless unless it's a really crappy mixer/amp with lots of static vs a state of the art wireless unit. So don't invest on wireless looking for improved sound quality. Your behringer mixer is good enough. It all comes down to what is coming into that mixer.
So, given your comment on floor monitors, I guess you are counting on an external monitor engineer. What I do is ask him for a direct monitor send to my mixer and no floor monitor at all. It makes my life much easier and my sound cleaner. If you want improved quality, ask him for a stereo send (two lines instead of one), which is what usually makes good wireless monitoring sound so good.
Another option, if you're doing a small gig with no monitor engineer, is using an ambience mike directly to your mixer, plus a bass drum one.
If you really want to have your own mix, you can ask the engineer for a split signal and plug all of them into your mixer. That should always be told in advance through a proper technical rider, as it takes some time and extra gear to set up. This is the best option if your people sound good right off the box and you have a decent EQ on your mixer, as you don't depend on someone doing his job right (which doesn't always happen).
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Matus wrote:Direct lines from guitar amps will most likely sound like crap. You could do a whole lot of things to improve a direct amp sound in your mixer, but I think it's too much trouble for not such a good result. But let's go step by step.
First: wired monitoring sounds better than wireless unless it's a really crappy mixer/amp with lots of static vs a state of the art wireless unit. So don't invest on wireless looking for improved sound quality. Your behringer mixer is good enough. It all comes down to what is coming into that mixer.
So, given your comment on floor monitors, I guess you are counting on an external monitor engineer. What I do is ask him for a direct monitor send to my mixer and no floor monitor at all. It makes my life much easier and my sound cleaner. If you want improved quality, ask him for a stereo send (two lines instead of one), which is what usually makes good wireless monitoring sound so good.
Another option, if you're doing a small gig with no monitor engineer, is using an ambience mike directly to your mixer, plus a bass drum one.
If you really want to have your own mix, you can ask the engineer for a split signal and plug all of them into your mixer. That should always be told in advance through a proper technical rider, as it takes some time and extra gear to set up. This is the best option if your people sound good right off the box and you have a decent EQ on your mixer, as you don't depend on someone doing his job right (which doesn't always happen).

Muchos gracias Matus! That's what I thought, about the quality of line out. I wouldn't think the mixer makes such a difference unless it's a totally crap unit. Re the signal of my own kit, I did think about getting my own mic directed at the kit and into the mixer but so far I've never had any problems with hearing myself. Just wanted to guitars to be able to stay in sync with the guys.

I do have to admit that I'm a layman when it comes to all stuff technical, especially related to guitar amping. But after what you said it baffles me how come the line out signal into my mixer can't sound as well as the signal going amp -> mixing desk -> my mixer. Is it because of the stereo capability? Would then it be possible to use a TRS cable from line out, or is the guitar line out going to stay mono regardless what cable you use?
Matus

Postby Matus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I assume the amps go through cabinets which are picked up by microphones and that's not the same thing by a long shot :)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:14 am

Direct guitar will only sound decent if you have a good speaker sim. With guitar players that use modeling it should work ok, though. You have to be last in the chain. If possible and you have a free channel anyway, you could put your own 57 on the cab.
captainziltoid

Postby captainziltoid » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:41 am

Totally agree with Matus. I've ran into this same issue and I've found the best solution for me is to put a small bit of bass drum and vocals from the mixer. I then have a small clamp that holds a SM57 on my vocal stand right above my head. You can use whatever mic but I haven't found the need for anything else. I get a super consistent mix no matter what situation and environment I'm in. Good luck.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:29 pm

My teacher used to set up his ZooQ3 over him and plugged his in-ears to hear while recording for small clubs. It's all about having a decent mic that can give you a good overall mix but it all depends on the kind of stage you're playing.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:41 pm

I usually get great results just getting vocals from the house and the instruments bleed through my overheads. It's basically what I'd be hearing without IEM but I can control the level and eq if needed. For small venues I usually use an overhead and kick with a snare mic handy if I need it. BTW, I'm using Shure 425's...The dual drivers make for comfortable listening for me.

Return to “Drumming Chat”