"Whiplash"...Are you rushing or dragging? - New film

amoergosum

Re: Tempo...Are you rushing or dragging? - New film

Postby amoergosum » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:04 am

electrizer wrote:
amoergosum wrote:Absolutely absurd story (often laughable) with a ridiculous/pathetic last act.
This movie didn't deserve to be nominated for an Oscar.

Haven't seen the movie yet but it seems that it's a wasted opportunity which could have been used to present the real-life struggle of a hard practicing musician trying to overcome his limitations on the way to greatness (or something of the like) instead of focusing on making it look like a "war movie" :/ Sensationalism sells...

This review sums it up well >>>

Link to full review:
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richar ... ght-movies

"Here’s what Parker didn’t do in the intervening year: sit alone in his room and work on making his fingers go faster. He played music, thought music, lived music. In “Whiplash,” the young musicians don’t play much music. Andrew isn’t in a band or a combo, doesn’t get together with his fellow-students and jam—not in a park, not in a subway station, not in a café, not even in a basement. He doesn’t study music theory, not alone and not (as Parker did) with his peers. There’s no obsessive comparing of recordings and styles, no sense of a wide-ranging appreciation of jazz history—no Elvin Jones, no Tony Williams, no Max Roach, no Ed Blackwell. In short, the musician’s life is about pure competitive ambition—the concert band and the exposure it provides—and nothing else. The movie has no music in its soul—and, for that matter, it has no music in its images. There are ways of filming music that are themselves musical, that conjure a musical feeling above and beyond what’s on the soundtrack, but Chazelle’s images are nothing of the kind."

"Certainly, the movie isn’t “about” jazz; it’s “about” abuse of power. Fletcher could as easily be demanding sex or extorting money as hurling epithets and administering smacks. Yet Chazelle seems to suggest that Fletcher, for all his likely criminal cruelty, has nonetheless forced Andrew to take responsibility for himself, to make decisions on his own, to prove himself even by rebelling against Fletcher’s authority. There’s nothing in the film to indicate that Andrew has any originality in his music. What he has, and what he ultimately expresses, is chutzpah. That may be very helpful in readying Andrew for a job on television. “Whiplash” honors neither jazz nor cinema; it’s a work of petty didacticism that shows off petty mastery, and it feeds the sort of minor celebrity that Andrew aspires to. Buddy Rich. Buddy fucking Rich."
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:23 pm

I didn´t like it at all.
Band´s Director Overacting - OVERacting.
Incredible scenes (in a bad way).
The drum dubbing was great the 90% of time.
I confess... I quit watching after 40-50 minutes.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:Incredible scenes (in a bad way).

The uptempo swing scenes were incredibly awful for example...

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:04 am

Skewing the picture of the reality is what politicians and advertisers do. Best and most timeless stories are those which reflect real life because they are relatable. That's why The Sopranos was such a massive success, because it isn't a show about the mafia. It is a show about a regular guy whose life is as uncertain and full of problems as everyone else's. And that's why I've decided I'm not gonna see that movie, because it presents a false image of something close to my heart, and exploits that image for money. That's not art, that's prostitution. Fuck that shit.

Sorry for a rant, I'm having a horrible day...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Non-musician friends keep telling me to see it... I´m not even curious! :? (btw, is that a Mapex kit?!)
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:39 am

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:06 pm

Kurtis wrote:http://youtu.be/mVt_1lGTUcg

That was hilarious...:)
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:34 pm

This is Kurtis´video:
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Whiplash is fucking awesome. It is an incredible black comedy. I forgot the name of the actor who plays the bandleader-----amazing performance. Anyone thinking about seeing this, don't listen to the naysayers.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:52 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Non-musician friends keep telling me to see it... I´m not even curious! :? (btw, is that a Mapex kit?!)

Your loss bro.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Drumming Chat”