Mike J documentary video

Lucas Ives

Re: Mike J documentary video

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:20 pm

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:53 pm

I've got to say...this whole discussion is barely approaching 6th grade level. :-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Let's get real here.. Teaching online lessons is cool. But comparing MJ to Mother Teresa is a stretch. It's just drum lessons.. I've been teaching for 15 years.. I don't need the key to the city for it.
And his book is not groundbreaking.. the online marketing is.... Linear chops have been around for a long long time..

I'll save people the trouble of buying the book, or any other Linear chops book.
Count 16th, 16th note triplets or 32nd notes.. Randomly play anything around the kit not hitting with more than one thing at a time.... listen to what sounds cool and repeat..

If you want to be really specific, work out some 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 hand foot patterns take the 16,24,or 32, notes from said subdivisions and divide then into the smaller hand foot patterns so they add up to the whole bar.. .. Repeat at nausium till you hear something cool.. Add some accents here and there that sound cool.

If you want to be authentic gospel chop sounding, tune your drums till they have no tone, and play with no more than 2 dynamic ranges.. as hard as you can or as soft as you can...

It's funny, the guy I have a stick endorsement with was by today showing me his new Headhunters Hot Rods/Brushes lines..
He's worked for Coast Music in Canada for 25 years...they distribute Sonor,Vic Firth,Sabian, Evans ect. Worked the clinics for all the big names in clinic business playing those products. I mentioned this thread and asked if he knew who Mike Johnston was.. He had no idea, never heard of him.He does however know of Gary Chaffee and Rick Gratton.

In fact most of the drummers I know that I mention this to have no idea who he is. Including students... I think I've had one or two out of hundreds that have shown me his videos and asked to learn what he was teaching...

I think it's easy to seem bigger/more important ect on the net than you are in real life because the net levels the playing field if you are smart at marketing.. MJ is a master at that as is Drumeo..Another solid teaching site built solely from online marketing..
percusski

Postby percusski » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:05 pm

NinaG wrote:
percusski wrote:The whole thing just stinks of a huge marketing exercise, I saw it on facebook originally...what exactly is so unique about Mike's 'linear' concept...I've not read his book?

The book was groundbreaking, he took linear playing to another level with that book. Buy it, you'll be impressed.

Ok i've worked it out, Nina is Mike's mum...mums lose objectivity when discussing their children.
the book 'was' groundbreaking, when Mike wrote it in the 70s? :lol:
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:07 am

Music is about music.

Some of the best shit I have learned has been from people that would be considered horrible teachers. They were incredible minds, which made them incredible players, and even the best educators I have been involved with are monster, working players.

Drumming is not this thing that someone can churn out this codex for, nor is anything else in this world that is worth something.

With any musical or artistic or any educational pursuit, pedagogy is a serious thing, and pedagogy requires a real-time, two-way, communication loop, as someone else has to enforce it upon you.

For someone that has studied music in a properly structured environment with a reasonable amount of real-gig playing experience, online videos are a bountiful source of information because you have been equipped with the ability to know if something is viable in a performance environment.

For any serious aspiring musician, there is no supplement for learning from someone in your locale that is actually gigging regularly for a living. They have the knowledge and tools you need, and they definitely could use your money.

EDIT----
Also, any parents reading this thread, heed the sentence above for your child.
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:04 am

Nina, could you share with us the most groundbreaking insight, or one of them at least, in the book?

If I find it worthwhile, I'll buy it!

How's that! Drumming should be about sharing, not out and out competition, as you know.

However, if something is truly outstanding, I'll easily give up some money to acquire it. I have a big stack of drum lesson books, some about linear drumming, some about snare solos, some about rudiments.

Thanks!
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:50 am

gretsch-o-rama wrote:I've got to say...this whole discussion is barely approaching 6th grade level. :-)

I'm not sure to whom or what this is intended, but I'll use it!

For me, there's a subtext to anything about the topic person due to his Mikey Likes It Youtube campaign. Because with that, whether intended or not, he set himself up as a sort of human piñata where if you get critical on him it will spill out and you'll be branded as one of those awful mean net drum people. Stand that next to the blushda thread and I'm not going to be too hard on myself for not running to embrace this biopic epic. Initial impressions aren't easy to change.
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:10 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:Music is about music.

Some of the best shit I have learned has been from people that would be considered horrible teachers. They were incredible minds, which made them incredible players, and even the best educators I have been involved with are monster, working players.

Drumming is not this thing that someone can churn out this codex for, nor is anything else in this world that is worth something.

With any musical or artistic or any educational pursuit, pedagogy is a serious thing, and pedagogy requires a real-time, two-way, communication loop, as someone else has to enforce it upon you.

For someone that has studied music in a properly structured environment with a reasonable amount of real-gig playing experience, online videos are a bountiful source of information because you have been equipped with the ability to know if something is viable in a performance environment.

For any serious aspiring musician, there is no supplement for learning from someone in your locale that is actually gigging regularly for a living. They have the knowledge and tools you need, and they definitely could use your money.

EDIT----
Also, any parents reading this thread, heed the sentence above for your child.

This is really great. I tried typing a similar response many times but just abandoned it because I felt like I wasn't getting the point across well enough. This says it all about the whole "online teacher" phenomenon.

There's a whole set of skills that are just as valuable as chops; understanding song form, understanding how to play/communicate in a meaningful way with other musicians, understanding and being able to hear/internalize melody, harmony and rhythm, reading charts... I could go on. The only real way to get this stuff is to study, either at school or with a teacher, and play as much music with other musicians as possible.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:42 am

NinaG wrote:A video company was so impressed with Mike Johnston that they wanted to do a documentary on his life. As you all probably know, Mike has inspired countless drummers all over the world with his unique teaching style and innovative concepts. Mike is easily the most in demand drum teacher on Earth, and students of all levels have learned from him (including some of the big name professionals.)

Mike's has raised the bar of what can be done on a drum set, and even more so, how to effectively teach it. His hard work, complete dedication and humble attitude have proven that anything is possible!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKN93Z ... dkgkWhZj3w

I´ve read more humble reviews about this guy in the picture:

NinaG

Postby NinaG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:33 am

chris perra wrote: I mentioned this thread and asked if he knew who Mike Johnston was.. He had no idea, never heard of him.He does however know of Gary Chaffee and Rick Gratton.

In fact most of the drummers I know that I mention this to have no idea who he is. Including students... I think I've had one or two out of hundreds that have shown me his videos and asked to learn what he was teaching...

I think it's easy to seem bigger/more important ect on the net than you are in real life because the net levels the playing field if you are smart at marketing.. MJ is a master at that as is Drumeo..Another solid teaching site built solely from online marketing..

If you want to see where drumming is going, just follow MJ, you're in good hands. Rick Gratton and Gary Chaffee??? I guarantee you Mike has sold more books then they have. His new book Groove Freedom is going to be another best seller. And Drumeo, those guys try to sign up for Mikes drum camps, which are sold out too! Mike is changing the world, you all are hanging on to the past.

Return to “Drumming Chat”