Mike J documentary video

chris perra

Re: Mike J documentary video

Postby chris perra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:25 pm

He sure is humble..great communicator.. So inspiring......
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Just got through this entire thread... what a shit show!

I don't know if this Nina character is actually Mike, but damn. Slow down. You've got to learn to crawl before you walk and that includes learning the history of the instrument and studying the materials laid out there by the greats- Chaffee and all the other cats, Stick Control, Joe Po's book, etc. And that's not even taking into consideration (which is going to be a shocker for this thread) the MUSIC that's already out there from the greats- young & new, old & legendary. Mike J is in no way in the ballpark with ANY of those cats.

Mike J, as far as I can tell, has a business built around the ease of technology & marketing, and about being a drummer. Just a drummer. No playing with other musicians, not looking at drumming as musician, but is playing (and rather smartly so, I must admit) himself into the online teaching world.

When he gets a great working gig playing with real musicians, then the dynamic of this discussion can change. As far as I'm concerned? I an take him or leave him. His playing doesn't impress me and it's nothing new. If you Google his name and look at the videos- it's either him teaching a 'lesson', a lick, fill, whatever. I went through four pages and there's no footage of him playing with a band. Several videos of him advertising some product he's tied to though.

Look, I don't want to shit on a guy I don't know and have never met before, and I have plenty of respect for what he's built for himself business-wise. But it's shit like this that gets guys known these days and not the music. You HAVE to and MUST market yourself to gain any amount of success (or just to make a living) now. You have to make it NOT about music, because kids don't care about that (because it's not relevant anymore). Trying to be the best drummer with help from your online hero and fellow cult-members is.

That's all I've got. ...I was really trying not to be overly negative.

Let's shut this thread down before it gets any sillier!
Got Blushda?
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:10 pm

HOD needs a thread like this...keeps the numbers up...a TMZ thread is always entertaining.

Dude's doing what he's doing, get over it. Cream rises to the top. I said it before, and
welcome to America...there's a reason Wal*Mart is number one...quality and quantity seems
a new concept to some in here. Shame.

Good for Mike. You like Garabaldi, cool, use his tools. You did Gary, as well. Guys making
cash just doing clinics...hmmm, I think so, some pretty big name cats...making a living playing
music...all for it.

Gadd played on pop LP's...yup. Gadd played w/respected musicians....yup. Jeff made his
dime playing 2 & 4...no prob. Am I missing something here?

Winston takes shitty students? Does he cash their checks? Yup. If they don't want to work for it...
so what? There will be another cat who will take their place. Life balances things out.

I hear a lot of jealously, insecurity, and fear all in the name of "integrity." YAWN.

Do your thang...are you content? If not, don't blame Mr Mike.

You wanna work in this biz...be like Kenny Arnoff...take every gig you can.

Welcome to the age of the Internet. It's here and ain't going away.

Cat comes in here with one post promoting. Whatever. HOD will be just fine.
HOD cleans its own house up nicely.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:I hear a lot of jealously, insecurity, and fear all in the name of "integrity." YAWN.

Really? It seems to me that people are just calling it like they see it. You find that boring? You think everyone should just look the other way? Get over it? I don't think so.

Pocketplayer wrote:Welcome to the age of the Internet. It's here and ain't going away.

chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:02 pm

I would have to say we have a very protective "Family" here at HOD haha...

There is a factor where people see someone like Mike doing better than they think they should based on who Mike has played with or his skill on the drumset. Instead of commenting on those things which are irrelevant or not nice to do. Where he is at is due to his hard work in spite of that.. (if that's what you think..)

Latching on to something that is tangible like his negative marketing crap is the natural way to raise your point of view, without being a dick. I find it wild that he came out with a Anti Negative Post video.... Like who does that?... maybe someone who was getting heat about negative posts associated with his name..

At any rate.. I've never written a book that teachers all over the world use instead of the classics. I haven't raised the bar on drumming worldwide through my online lesson site,..played PASIC, or been on Letterman with Filter. So Mike will always be better than me in that respect..

I am pretty good at Call Of Duty and Halo though,... and lately Titanfall.. When I go to sleep at night that comforts me... ;)
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Ever since I was a kid, I looked up to James Randi and his casting a skeptical eye towards people selling snake oil. Authenticity is mentally healthy.

Using subterfuge and boastful promises of being the best at everything, then attacking people for not falling in line and drinking the Kool-Ade...come on, what is that. That is ludicrous.

You ever notice some of the people who are so against bullying, are actually bullies. Isn't that strange, but that's humanity.

If the guy helps people get into drums, awesome, it's good. If he wants to stir shit with weird emotional emo passive/aggro bleatings all over the place, not awesome, and is weird.

Of course, that's my opinion, but realize, I'm not great and I'm not a shiny/happy/beautiful king jock drummer. Wow, I'm sorta bummed about my life now...
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:43 pm

Be like Mike.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Mike J has an "empire". That's nice.I respect him for that.
Why would someone who is so successful post stupid crap in a drum forum.
I read through this thread and the old thread and I can't understand why someone who is so setup in thier career would be such a (forgive me) s***head..

I'm tempted to call him and talk to him ,just to get his perspective . I know what happened here on HOD ,but I'm curious to what caused him to get so nasty with us here.I would like to hear his side of the story.

It would be childish and very immature of him to do such a thing as opening a spam HOD account. I dont believe it ,yet. On the other hand opening a fake account would give him the opportunity to spy and start unrest without him drawing any direct heat to him or his sponsors...But honestly gents,I believe that NinaG is a kid who is sadly looking at drums without music and who has had too much MJ kool aid to drink. Nina is as passionate about MJ as most young drummers are about Travis Barker.

I've watched Mike's vids. He does a great job ,but I learn more from viewing Porcaro's Video, DW's Evolution Series,Secret Weapons, and Serious Moves.
I cant say that I have been able to apply MJ's teachings to ANY of my current gigs. I'm for him posting stuff in a band context, it would give his "students" the opportunity to see his teachings in a practical setting.

But to NinaG: You wont get very far on MJ's teachings alone. You must study what came before him. If you like those linear concepts then you should start by studying those who pioneered that approach .It will give you the history...Remember, In order to take things to another level,you must know it's history.
There is nothing left to say.
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 pm

When studying music and training on the instrument you have to focus on different issues and skills. The youtube lessons and clinics are very usefull as a source of information but they do not provide all the feedback and interaction that you need. This has nothing to do with 'old guys vs young guys' allthough Mike Johnston does have a point. There are a lot of guys teaching 'last century style'. A good portion of my students are coming from other drumteachers and they feel frustrated about being 'stuck' or 'bored'. But on the other hand: Music is NOT about the drums only. Some of the greatest music ever recorded is played by drummers with zero chops. I teach my students both. The old style and the new. The most important part of your body music wise are your ears.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”