Re: Mike J documentary video

Postby Yussuf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:32 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Image

Oh dear.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:17 am

NOW I'm jealous!

20 DVDs! That's an incredible value, or your money back.

I bet it is an incredible value, and you can get the most drum learning out of any product on the market today.

percusski

Postby percusski » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:24 am

Yussuf wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Image

Oh dear.

Oh dear indeed! Don't get me started on this guy, this Cobus character represents everything that's wrong with the music industry and society in general to me...his half-assed jamming with whoever on that DWVideo website (which is clearly all about the money..disappointing that Bozzio sinks so low sometimes) is dire, and considering he's been at it a while, shows no real sign of improvement in his playing...maybe he's dedicated all that time to refining the 'cobus system' where one doesn't need formal lessons, or any of that crap that destroys creativity and expression..
A whole set of videos demonstrating what I wonder.....like someone said above, just find a good local teacher!
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:40 am

Vinnie once replied about him being called 'The Alien' …"get real, we are all human." When I hear or see Vinnie, Dave or Dennis I can get so overwhelmed that even trying to do stuff like that feels like impossible. Like true Drum Gods. But that is not what they say we should do. Try to be the best you can be, trough hard work. Guys like Cobus etc. [I'm not too familiar with them] are like the guy YOU can be. I bet they do inspire a lot of people. That is a good thing. They bring back a lot of joy. I cannot hate them. And don't get fooled, most people in the industry are all about money, in the pop-scene for sure. All this protooled to death 'music' is meant to be a product. Youtube opens new doors for all of us and these young guys 'get it'. I agree about the shallowness of it all but the fun factor is very inspiring to me as a teacher. No need for hating ;-]
Niles

Postby Niles » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:09 am

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:41 pm

The one that started it all... Still can´t believe he calls himself Drumming's global ambassador... :(
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Linear drumming. No thanks. If you want to be a well rounded musician you need to play all the styles. Period. Play the accents of the music. No licks. Just play music. Licks are great and all but they belong to the originator. I could never be a teacher. I rather play music. Listening to records has always been my teacher.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:The one that started it all... Still can´t believe he calls himself Drumming's global ambassador... :(

What have you against Famularo?
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:43 am

Nothing against him (or anyone else mentioned on this thread for that matter). I do believe that he´s an entertainer more than a musician.
I think there´s tons of actual musicians playing with actual bands that could use that kind of exposure and bring to youngsters real life advice/experience. Less focus on the gear and more insight in how to develop/nurture a career playing music...
Unless you´re someone like Chapin... A truly gifted player who wrote a classic book and -I feel- had something special to offer... Not the case of Dom, Cobus, etc...
(Again, I don´t have anything against those guys. I wish them the best actually; but think of it from another angle... A writer that never write a book, but he travels the world teaching writing techniques -and selling gear in the meantime-... Replace writer with any profession you want, and the result is equally bizarre)
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:59 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Nothing against him (or anyone else mentioned on this thread for that matter). I do believe that he´s an entertainer more than a musician.
I think there´s tons of actual musicians playing with actual bands that could use that kind of exposure and bring to youngsters real life advice/experience. Less focus on the gear and more insight in how to develop/nurture a career playing music...
Unless you´re someone like Chapin... A truly gifted player who wrote a classic book and -I feel- had something special to offer... Not the case of Dom, Cobus, etc...
(Again, I don´t have anything against those guys. I wish them the best actually; but think of it from another angle... A writer that never write a book, but he travels the world teaching writing techniques -and selling gear in the meantime-... Replace writer with any profession you want, and the result is equally bizarre)

That's true, but still I think it's unfair to put Famularo in the same basket as MJ and Cobus. When I was younger I liked his enthusiasm which I think was infectious and genuine. It's clear that the two latter ones do what they do purely for profit, whereas Famularo's clips just wanted to get the message across. Plus, I know he doesn't tour or record but he does play and is an excellent educator, and knowing or having known many of the drumming greats he doesn't deserve to be jumbled together with the other two.

I know we're diverging from the topic and, but I think what Famularo does is much more authentic and pure, and hence I thought that was an unfair statement to make. MHO.

Return to “Drumming Chat”