Phil Collins

nomsgmusic

Re: Phil Collins

Postby nomsgmusic » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Me too Steve, I can sing every drum note on each of those! I even dug some stuff on "No Jacket Required."
I have never heard anything about it not being Phil on "Easy Lover" (and upon listening, I can't believe it's anyone but Phil.)

Steve check out the live show from Lamb Lies Down On Broadway from the Rarities Box set. Peter went back and redid his vocals (which I think was an improvement, and I seem like the only one who thinks this. My reason, because at the time he did it, his voice had aged very well!) and Phil is KILLING it! I have been obsessed with this recording for the last year!

There are also two cool "new" Brand X CD's one is an authorized Live bootleg (I think it with the famous timbale kit too,) and the other one is an early unreleased studio recording. Both are phenomenal!!!!

Langmick,
Kenney Jones was NEVER the same drummer after his car accident, and from what (I think) I 've read, he has a pretty severe back issues resulting from that. Listen to some stuff w/ Faces, pretty raucous, with a good deal of fire, and reckless abandon. Shame.

And now didn't Phil have some back issues as well. I know there were some ear issues, but I seem to remember back issues as well.

Take care of your backs fellas!!!

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I have some lil' back issue time to time, but it's not the drums, but the sport, but because the drums I have some neck pain time to time, so uncool... :-(

Anyway, who remember that song ?

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Phil is why I started playing drums. As said, his first three solo albums are essential. I used to play and sing to them a lot when I was younger and still do. Genesis, Brand X and Robert Plant's first two solo albums are classic Phil.

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 am

Always loved that song, Phil on drums, yeah !!!

Christopher

Postby Christopher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:21 am

Clint Hopkins wrote:Genesis, Brand X and Robert Plant's first two solo albums are classic Phil.

Absolutely.

Love the stuff he played with Plant.

The fills at the end of "Far Post" are so Phil. This song was only available on the movie White Nights' sound track until the remaster of Pictures At Eleven was released.

Long live Phil's barking concert toms! :)
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Didn't know that about Kenney, but I still think he was a straight ahead player and sounded tight. I've heard the Faces stuff and it's good, but still a bit straight ahead and unschooled. I listened to a live recording front he It's Hard tour and his time was a little weird. He owns a polo club so what the fuck do I know.

This was in our family VCR for quite a long time, over and over. I hear a new nuance with each listen.

This just blew my mind. I know every fill by heart by now.

This was the first time I heard him go off and get weird in a fusion way, used to pop this on the walkman a lot.

beat hit

Postby beat hit » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:59 pm

I also love the "rototoms" years!!!

The "fill" he does on the LIVE version of Firth Of Fifth is so kewl.. Check it out at 4:03.

thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 am

I heart Phil - his drum sound on Trick of the Tail (76) is my favourite drum sound ever.

His touch on this tune is so, so perfect. It's sublime really. Those subtle fills...
____
Ned
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:31 am

And of course one of my very favorite !!!

Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:56 am

^^ Phill´s drum sound is one of my favourites.
And I love his playing.

Lovely:

Return to “Drumming Chat”