Tuning a 16" head to itself

Matus

Re: Tuning a 16" head to itself

Postby Matus » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:47 am

Actually, since the Powersonic and Powerstroke Pro are available, the EMAD isn't that much of a reason to stay with Evans.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:12 am

Kurtis wrote:Lots and lots of sound advice going on. Do yourself a favor and go with the clear ambassadors. If that doesn't work it's the drum or hardware.

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 am

Any Aquarian users round here?
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:18 am

I'm always going back and forth through tuning techniques and whatever may be on my mind that I think is most effective...I own mostly all Gretsch drums, so the die cast hoops can be a tuning challenge sometimes. Some people say they're easier, I don't find that to be the case. But what I use lately is, tapping(or getting my pitches) halfway to the middle of the drum. I find that with tapping by the shell the tone or pitches you are getting really aren't relevant to the overall tone and sound of the drum. And IMO, the most important thing is that the pitches are matched going across the drum, from opposite lug to lug. Going around in a circle really doesn't matter, IMO...And like some others said, bringing the reso head up tighter than the batter can help quite a bit. And I really crank them with larger drums and snares. ;-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
geoffgilldrums

Postby geoffgilldrums » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:07 am

electrizer wrote:Thanks man! Yeah, I don't know why but not having my toms sing well is something that keeps me awake. And yet another opinion for Remos and against Evans. Interesting

right on the singing floor toms...those Pearl Floor Tom Legs w/ Air Suspension Feet are a MUST. even it you muffle the crap out of it later w/ moongels & tape...still add a nice full, meaty sound.

yeah on Evans, not a bad sound...but there is something diff w/ the mylar that i am not used to. when new, great sound & mics well. the remo tone seems to last longer (forever?) where Evans would just "die" one day & go flat / "blat". i have remo heads from 2008 & older that still sound / record well. they seem to have a special quality especially when older that mics love. i am doing a bunch w/ vintage 70s sounds, so i am hanging onto all my old remo heads & adding gaffers tape & moongels. :D
Atlanta drummer. If it grooves, I dig it !

Return to “Drumming Chat”