Holdsworth Haslip Husband

Clint Hopkins

Re: Holdsworth Haslip Husband

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:09 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Secrets has some scary playing on it, but the absolute best Holdsworth music for me is I.O.U., which is also my favorite record of ALL TIME. Gary was just a kid when he recorded that stuff. Nothing like it before or since.

Without hesitation my favorite Holdsworth record!! Special music with the perfect combination of players for it.
I know Allan and Paul Williams are at odds but what ever happened to Paul Carmichael?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:46 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Rodge wrote:One word, "Secrets"... :-)

Secrets has some scary playing on it, but the absolute best Holdsworth music for me is I.O.U., which is also my favorite record of ALL TIME. Gary was just a kid when he recorded that stuff. Nothing like it before or since.

I.O.U. is great, but my music sensibility goes with "secret", I call that album the bible, guess who's God... :)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:45 am

beat hit wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:

Here's a snap shot of that era..

You can buy it here:
http://www.amazon.ca/I-O-U-Allan-Holdsworth/dp/B000JCEB2W/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1411795248&sr=1-2&keywords=allan+holdsworth+I.O.U

Yea, the drums really
beat hit wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:

Here's a snap shot of that era..

You can buy it here:
http://www.amazon.ca/I-O-U-Allan-Holdsworth/dp/B000JCEB2W/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1411795248&sr=1-2&keywords=allan+holdsworth+I.O.U

The analog recording really gives a sense of being 'there' (even on a laptop and a horrible degraded digital music file). No digital source disconnection. Sings when he starts plastering the drums.
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:11 am

gretsch-o-rama wrote:There's no sense being a pro musician if it's not at an "artists" level, IMO...

Can you elaborate on this for me?
I'm not sure I totally understand...

MP
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:13 am

Clint Hopkins wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:

Without hesitation my favorite Holdsworth record!! Special music with the perfect combination of players for it.
I know Allan and Paul Williams are at odds but what ever happened to Paul Carmichael?

I play with Paul now and again, he has his own band and works in London.
He's just recently played the Ealing Jazz Fest with them.

MP
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:27 am

Mark P wrote:
gretsch-o-rama wrote:There's no sense being a pro musician if it's not at an "artists" level, IMO...

Can you elaborate on this for me?
I'm not sure I totally understand...

MP

I'm just saying if it's all business and no pleasure/art, you may still get work, I just believe the longevity of that work is put in jeopardy...Or, something...

On a side note, I've never seen Gary play this great...Absolutely astounding. :-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:11 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:I've never seen Gary play this great...Absolutely astounding. :-)

I've never heard Gary play anything short of astounding. Even the straight pop stuff with Level 42 was killer!

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:21 pm

I guess it's just the sound he's getting I identify with more...Great!
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:09 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:I guess it's just the sound he's getting I identify with more...Great!

Yeah, his sound on I.O.U. was perfect. Gretsch with black dots. Funny, but whenever I try black dots (top and bottom), it sounds like shit to me.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:26 pm

I've read VC say that the Gretsch drums will "live" with any head...maybe he doesn't dare tread on the blackdots. haha

Return to “Drumming Chat”