YOUR Fantasy future Recording of Vinnie Colaiuta

Julián Fernández

Re: YOUR Fantasy future Recording of Vinnie Colaiuta

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Jean, what´s your main speaker system? Is your room somehow treated?
Most of it could be comb filtering and poor monitoring....
I just sold my Genelecs 8030 and I´m waiting for my new pair of 8040´s... Once you go in that direction, there´s no turning back... :mrgreen:
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:46 pm

I don't have a main speaker system.

I have a 5 way surround sound system that I have not used for 3 years.
I have many boom boxes and nice sound systems in my autos.

Are you implying that my high end hearing is lacking? No, it's all good.

It's not the sound system(s). I notice a much crisper sound on all speakers
once I re-equalize all my commercial recordings.

Again, I am specifically highlighting the drums but also listen the relationship
of drumming to the rest of the instrumentation. I am hooked on this enhanced
sound now. That's why I find all commercial recordings sounding flat.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 pm

All I´m saying is that you may wanna check some albums on a proper system before making assumptions about "all commercial recordings"... You think you can use a simple eq and make everything "much crispier on all speakers", but that´s not the way it works AFAIK. Either way, good for you if you find something that works in your situation...
Last edited by Julián Fernández on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 am

Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:
sjj123 wrote:I'd like to hear modern versions of the Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar series w/ Zappa....never liked the actual drum sound all that much
but the playing stands as some of my all time fav...crazy good drumming. These days I dont hear Vinnie do a lot of the things he was going for on those tracks

Funny, I've been really listening to that these days. I never really let that recording "in" for whatever reason, but recently I found myself able to really absorb it. The drumming on there is pretty amazing. I mean, it's over-the-top over-playing but when Vinnie does that 90% of the time it's genius ideas instead of busy-ness for it's sake. There's some straight-up conversations going on between him and Frank in a lot of those tunes. Reminded me of Secrets a little bit too. Great drumming underneath the flat dated production sound.

The reference point for what constitutes good sound seems to be lost by many, in the cell phone audio age. Paper thin digital recordings really get exposed when I listen to them in a crowded gym with earbuds...they are reduced to a thin of wash of shralped high end. Raising the volume just makes it worse. Whereas if I listen to an old Talking Heads recording from the late 70's at the same mp3 resolution...boom, the sound is still (relatively) there, punchy at a low volume.

http://www.fingerprintsweb.net/ah/press/gp0390.html

The same sensitivity allowed Holdsworth to slip easily between the roles of performer, producer, and engineer. Dissatisfied with the limited range of his equipment, he replaced his monitors with highly accurate Yamaha NS40s, rented an Otari MTR90 tape recorder, and turned in his console for a sweet-sounding Trident. He performed a series of meticulous experiments before settling into any irreversible mixes. "I think I made up for the lack of equipment and studio-level sonic quality by keeping everything balanced. I wanted to make the album sound fairly natural, so I didn't go overboard with any processing. I wanted to make it as clear as I could. I'd go in there and get it EQ'd, do a rough mix to a DAT tape, and then I'd make a cassette and play it everywhere. I'd actually spend the rest of the day playing it in someone else's car, my van, the back room where I have a blaster, and through the NS-40s. If there's any gnarl there, I want to hear it."
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I just stumbled onto this one...easy one for me. I'd want him to play my compositions and I'd put him with some folks he's already more than comfortable with...Robben Ford, Otmaro Ruiz, Abe Sr. Randy Brecker and we'll throw in Bob Mintzer for giggles. Holy crap!!! I won a Grammy for Jazz Composer of the Century!!! Geez, come to think of it, I'm already hearing this in my head....sounds freakin' incredible...here, listen....
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:04 pm

Jeff Beck, Chick Corea, Tal, Vinnie.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:41 am

One where his drums sound good. Like on Ten Summoner's Tales.
Since the white Gretsch signature kit Karizma days (circa 2000) his sound has been way too cardboard box'y for me.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:51 am

But excluding the Karizma kit. LOL That kit sounds amazing! Haha
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:25 am

gretsch-o-rama wrote:But excluding the Karizma kit. LOL That kit sounds amazing! Haha

It's all very subjective. I highly dislike his sound on 'Document'. It reminds me somewhat of a Roland Electronic kit.

Return to “Drumming Chat”