Vinnie's new endorsement

gretsch-o-rama

Re: Vinnie's new endorsement

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 am

I said that(and I still stand by it) because his interviews tend to be talking about the same thing and they tend to repeat themselves. Except with some intellectual savvy. I'm actually trying to bring up the point that if I'm right(and he's concerned about paying his mortgage), that it could only be detrimental to his overall artistry on the drums. But let's face it, playing drums comes down to being a profession at that level. And it can't be entirely art, either.

I guess when you've played as much in a lifetime as a Gadd, Vinne, or Jeff, inspiration comes at a premium. Think about having the same job for 40 years and trying to still be excited about it. You'd have to really love it, but even the most dedicated would struggle to be enthused about doing it, day in, day out.

Really not trying to tell Vinnie how to run his life. I was just turned off by that statement, and didn't read the rest of the interview because of that. And I'm sure I've earned my opinions, even here on HOD.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:10 am

That's interesting... One of the common concepts I see from Vinnies interviews ect is how people focus on certain things and don't look at the context of what's around it. Like what and why he chooses to play depending on the artist ans situation he's in.

It's amazing he was using "Paying a Mortgage" to set up a state of mind of where someones approach could come from and through that you took it out of that context and made it literally about how "He needs to pay his mortgage" Not only that but you didn't read the rest of it.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:12 am

Context? He could've been talking to the interviewer on the phone, for all I know. And that's the context of an interview.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:16 am

I think you should read the whole interview. There's even stuff about loving what you do there.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:53 am

I didn't care for the interview style. The commentary-question-editorial format didn't work in places. The mortgage thing is silly to get upset over because it's used entirely as an example of a mindset changing with age. Here is the quote, the first paragraph is the interviewer

---
IT'S ABOUT GETTING IN CHARACTER

He likens his multifaceted job as a drummer to that of an actore playing a role that he perhaps hates; a lot of times he's got to say, "No, I don't want to do that role." And if he doesn't happen to like the music he's playing, well, he doesn't feel it should be a requirement for any drummer to feel like they have to be able to play ten different styles with absolute authenticity.

As a kid, you can identify with and you want to play certain kinds of punk music or something, and then later on in your adult life you still have the physical capacity to play "punk" music, but on an authenticity level, you don't have teen angst anymore; now you have adult angst, like, "I have to pay my mortgage angst" vs. "I'm trying to establish my autonomy angst" or whatever it is.
---

"Like" - "Or whatever it is" defines the thought.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:14 am

It may be presumptive to say he can't afford his mortgage. And it's none of my business, to boot. He's a pro musician.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:41 am

Either you are being contrary or you are reading into it what you want it to mean rather than what it is meant to convey. Try to comprehend it within the context of what is being said. He could have said "now you have adult angst, like "I have to keep my job to feed my kids angst" vs. "I'm coming of age angst" or whatever it is.

It's a comparison in a general sense, that's all that is meant by it.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:28 am

gretsch-o-rama wrote:It sounds like Vinnie can't afford his mortgage post-Sting.

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:56 am

Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:40 am

It's not that anyone wants to disagree with you. It's that your take on the mortgage quote is so outside the realm of comprehension people are rushing to your aid much like a trapped infant in a burning vehicle.

Return to “Drumming Chat”