TOTO XIV w/Carlock

kinkymook

Re: TOTO XIV w/Carlock

Postby kinkymook » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm with Paul on this one. As in, I WANTED to love it, but it doesn't catch me at all. There are a couple of tunes that are ok, but after 2 weeks of non-stop rotation, I moved on to other albums. And Keith wasn't the right choice IMO. He's much more "Keith" with Oz and Wayne. THATS the Keith I dig. Yes, I know he can play a pocket, but how a ought a better blend of both sides? Simon had that, and that's what I appreciated about records like Tambu and Mindfields. Another not so great idea was all the Paich sung stuff on the record. Sorry, not a fan.
D.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:00 pm

kinkymook wrote:Another not so great idea was all the Paich sung stuff on the record. Sorry, not a fan.

I loved Paich back when he sang Manuela Run, or Rockmaker back in the day:

But on this new record he sounds like his mouth has a sock in it. Really bizarre.

I do really like Steve Porcaro's tune The Little Things.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:51 pm

As much as I wanted to, I can't get into this record.

I don't think Keith's amazing abilities are applied best in this setting.
I loved Simon in TOTO. Tambu is a monster album.

My vote is for Shannon to take over fully. He's the perfect match in my book.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 pm

My vote is for Manu Katché in Toto. That would be a perfect match. If Manu can't do it, get Chris Coleman.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 pm

I think Paich night have had some sort of health related issues with his mouth/face recently. Look at a profile of his face now, his bottom lip looks very unlike it used to. I am just speculating, but this may be why his vocal articulation might be a little "off."

Regarding Keith in Toto (compared to some of his other "hipper" fusion gigs.) Let's not confuse the two, how many of us REALLY thought that Keith's talents were put on full display on Steely's Everything Must Go? With Steely live, it's a little different story, but on that record, well I don't know??? He sounded a little "looser" on Morph The Cat, and really slinky and comfortable on Becker's Circus Money, but playing in those contexts is a different world from playing with Krantz or Oz.

If Keith has made the decision to commit to SD, I can't blame him. Based on what I have been told, there is no end in sight for them touring. I sincerely hope that the same can be said for Toto, but who knows. Luke shut it down a few years back, and while I hope they find some much deserved success with this record and tour... (again) who knows?

I DO know this though. After seeing-hearing-hanging with Luke and Keith at a few "fusion" gigs in NYC (with Bill Evans' band) I KNOW that those two get along very well! I can't tell you how many times Luke told me, "Man I hope a get some more chances to play with that guy in the future!!!" I do agree with the above sentiment that Toto made some very good music with Simon, Tambu was a mf'er of a record! And I dug Falling In Between as well.

The new Toto record... I think the writing is really very good. I think Joe Williams sounds REALLY good, and Luke sounds good (as usual) I LOVE the guy, one of my favorite musicians!!! "Running Out Of Time," "Burn," "Holy War," "The Little Things," and "Great Expectations" are (IMHO) VERY good tunes!!!! I'm really glad that Steve Porcaro came back, a Toto record without a Porcaro would just seem weird.

Who is playing bass on the tour?

I must admit the production of the new record has me a little baffled though. However, I have heard quite a few records recently that sound like they have been mastered by my cat! I guess now that people are listening to their music on those horrific little earbuds, or the tinny speakers of a laptop, tablet, or a phone, artists have forgone making records that sound really good (and stuff is being mastered to sound good on those devices.) Who can blame them though? (As proven in this thread,) spend five figures on making a record, and within a month it's on youtube to listen to for free, if no one is going to pay for music, then why spend top dollar to make it sound really good? The BIG mastering engineers get pretty big bucks.

I wish all involved the BEST, and I am happy that Shannon is getting a chance at the gig of his dreams!
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 am

What's a good album drumming-wise to start with Toto? Anyone?
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:52 am

For the Simon era, I'd recommend that 'Livefields' album I posted a song from. Monstrous rock playing, amazing sound.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:32 am

electrizer wrote:What's a good album drumming-wise to start with Toto? Anyone?

For Jeff: The Seventh One and TOTO IV
For Simon: Tambu
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:15 am

Curt Bisquera could be the perfect guy for the TOTO gig.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:54 am

electrizer wrote:What's a good album drumming-wise to start with Toto? Anyone?

They're all great, but start with the first four: Toto, Hydra, Turn Back, and Toto IV.

Return to “Drumming Chat”