Anyone have one of these thrones?

chris perra

Anyone have one of these thrones?

Postby chris perra » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Anyone have one of these thrones? If so are they any good? For the money I'd want to hear from someone not shilling them or try one.. Can't find anyone selling them locally..

https://carmichaelthrone.com/
GoAndPractice

Re: Anyone have one of these thrones?

Postby GoAndPractice » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:39 pm

I've used one on a gig but I dont own one. It felt weird to me but that was just an hour or so. I'd take a Gibraltar Softy before one of these, at least with those you don't have to continuously worry about "alignment" and doesn't feel like you're on a toilet.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:14 pm

I took an old Sonor 13 inch throne and cut out a middle strip.. it's interesting... I think it puts less strain on your spine...The weight is on your buttocks .. I'm going to need a larger throne as 13 is too small but it seems to work. Unfortunately there are no Canadian retailers for a Carmichael...

Has anyone used an Ahead spinal G throne? I'm going to check one out tomorrow.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Chris, check out the Tama Ergo Rider if you haven't already: http://www.tama.com/product/hardware_da ... ea=2&id=25
Very comfortable and it doesn't wobble.

The new Sonor thrones feel absolutely amazing, but they're crazy expensive: http://www.sonor.com/instruments/drums/ ... rs-throne/
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:08 am

I currently have a Ford Memory Foam throne..it'sa solid throne.. I've also had roc n soc. Yamaha and others..

The allure of back relief is my primary motivation.. I play and sit alot.. I do yoga every day but still have some strain depending on the gig. I often do 2 hour and a half sets. After those my back is tight. Sadly I decided to cut out a strip on an old Roc n Soc throne I had that the base had broken on.

My Ford throne got stuck the base and as I was hammering off the top. I broke the seat mount plate haha.. Now I have to get something new.. Or at least find a seat mount plate.. which doesn't seem too easy... All I wanted to do Is see if the Roc n Soc would fit on my Gibralter base... It doesn't... as it was from a Nitro... Also the foam on an old Roc. N Soc is too thin to cut out a strip and be padded enough not to bottom out.. So aside from my 13 inch throne being promising I've disabled my Ford and Butchered my Roc n Soc haha... Oh well...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 am

chris perra wrote:
The allure of back relief is my primary motivation.

I've been there. Try the Tama. You may want to get an inversion table too. I have one in my living room.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:21 pm

I have an inversion table haha..

Like everything else in life it's about consistency ...

I've managed to be pretty consistent with the yoga.. I should move my table to the living room so I remember to use it..

At least the throne if it's good I will use all the time...
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:55 pm

I second Paul's Tama recommendation. I have had this for the last five years and love it.

ERGO-RIDER QUARTET WITH BACKREST

A little harder to transport than a normal throne, but so worth it especially if you will be playing for a good while at a time.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:26 pm

I remember trying the Ergo Rider when I bought my Ford... It was a good feeling seat..

I wound up getting the Ahead Spinal G throne as that's the only thing I could get locally..
http://aheaddrumsticks.com/drum-thrones ... sVGs9C2V8E

I tried it at the store for a half hour or so and did a session for a few hours with it..
It's odd... while playing I didn't really notice a difference,. A throne is a throne.. but after is when I feet it's a better throne for me..

It's a solid throne.. feels comfortable,, a little softer than a Roc N Soc.. but not as much as my Ford..

Friday I do a gig that is typically 2 hour and a half sets.. so that will be the test..
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:36 pm

chris perra wrote:I wound up getting the Ahead Spinal G throne

That really looks amazing. Let me know how it works out. I need to try one out. I just don't like thrones that are too soft, which is why I like the Tama. I had a Pearl that I had to return. Felt like I was bouncing. And I had a Roc 'n' sock which lost it's support after a few months.

Return to “Drumming Chat”