Double bass technique

Rudy_Ment

Re: Double bass technique

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Jim Richman wrote:Playing with electronic bass drums is tricky. It's hard to get a stable pad, cause doublebass makes it move around. I have the Roland TD25 and the bass drum is pretty awful. It feels good for single bass drum. But I need make some kind of mount for it if i want to do doublebass. i switched it with a ddrum 4SE kick pad which is way more stable.

Up or down? Just play whatever way you can do it best. Switching around is good, and you will find out when the best time is to play up or down.
BTW I am using the Progressive Foundry. The snares are real solid, as the original Superior Drummer 2.0 are kinda thin sounding. And it has a ride mic you can turn up for recording.
A very nice expansion. I also want to get Volume 2 New York cause it has some big room sounds that I like.

Hi Jim. I'm on a TD9 kit, but with all mesh heads, except the kick which is the standard black rubber pad. I've had to position both beaters very carefully for the trigger to pick up both evenly, otherwise one was quieter than the other. There's only millimetres left or right to play with. So yea, it's not ideal but it kinda works. I remember who you are now, you're 'drumblast' with the awesome double bass chops. :) I've not tried Progressive Foundry or Superior Drummer yet, I'd like to! Actually, here's a short and rough test recording I did with EZD2 using the modern library with 9000RC tom samples. The last part is quieter and I'd tweaked the snare higher. The recording quality is not great (just using Roland UM ONE midi interface into laptop) so I've ordered a Steinberg UR22 mk2 (coming on Friday) audio interface, which I hope will allow me to use a higher buffer and still maintain low latency.

https://clyp.it/qlzqoc2q

chris perra wrote:Sort of looks like the Derek Roddy flat foot thing

That's it. Good find chris, that looks like it.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:13 am

There's definetly something to be said for just plain old mileage. I don'y do digital it's just for practice, so all I have is my good old Realfeel pad.

Trying to get all those thousands of extra hours of conditioning my hands have received on a pad include my feet.

9000s arriving tomorrow, so my trust 5000AD3 has been demoted to pad duty.

There are many basic exercises I find good like:

- the cross leading both left and right.
- 2+2
- 4+4 is also hard when leading with the left. For me anyway. MOst basic thing, but LHL is completely different.
- and shuffle offcourse.

Other than that I do all the typical stick control stuff one would do with one's hands and a bit of unisons like that. Hands over feet, but I guess you can work any pair against the other. What was that Virgil thing. Paradiddle on one side and paradiddle-diddle on the other, or something. :lol:

I really like working on the typical groups of 4 exercises in triplets as it really exposes and irons out generl flow issues.

I also use just straight subdivisions as ostinatos.

I feel like I'll be doing more of this type of stuff on the pad. It's accessible, can be spread out through the day I can differentiate between technique conditioning work on the pads and enjoy making music on the real instrument.

Not to mention the hours of just pounding the pad while watching TV, like my hands have always gotten a bit of.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Yes, playing serious doublebass is very leggy. Derek knows what's up. I use a UR22, it works great. The latency is fine. Anyway, i just ordered New York Vol2 because i want a big room drum sound from Hit factory. BTW, most all Toontrack drum software is 50% off at Sweetwater. Now is a good time to jump to SD2. The Progressive Foundry is not 50 off cause it's new. But SD2 is like 170 new and SDX expansions are 75 dollars. Definitely worth it.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Drumming Chat”