Inredible acting chops...

Old Pit Guy

Re: Inredible acting chops...

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 am

Darren Altman wrote:Seriously?? WTF? Am I tripping? Wasn't he playing and evangelising about Ludwig drums a few weeks ago??!

The feeling of cynicism seems to be a a matter of bottom-up mental Tick-Tock. Because proper G.A.S. isn't being promoted as well as expected, part of the brain is like “There’s gotta be better G.A.S.” and inserts the feeling of gassy cynicism.
-
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:44 am

JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:30 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:You should not believe anything Vinnie ever says. I think he was paid about $1,200 for taking part in that video, plus another $5 for each view generated. Also, Gretsch makes really bad sounding (and looking) drums. I don't think anyone likes them, let alone plays them. You should definitely never buy any. It's also super accurate to gauge how a drum sounds while watching a YouTube video and listening to it through little laptop speakers. I'm sure they sounded horrible in person too.

Thank you so very much for bringing this to our attention.

:)
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am

@bored at work: I thought Jeff played a Pearl MLX (maple), alternating between:
3 1/2" x 14" Pearl Free-Floating brass piccolo, Pearl 5 1/2" x 14" steel, 5" x 14"
Solid/Select maple, Ludwig Black, Brady 10" soprano snare drum with his toms
on Kingdom.

Then again...there's this info to weed through;
The Pearl kits that Jeff was using at that time were not Japanese Pearl, they were made at the old Pearl warehouse. The true giveaway is the air vent groments.

Jeff had a complete Brady kit (that the Drum Doctor kept) and that Jeff was using it on quite a few of his dates in his last few years. Those HUGE drum sounds on Kingdom Of Desire sound like they "could" be a Brady kit, or at least they sound like the Brady sets (real crisp, bright, and for the lack of a better term very "Hi Fi" sounding) that I have played in the past. A West coast session drummer also told me that Jeff used his Gretsch's on almost everything he recorded

I can confirm this is accurate. Jeff owned a BRADY kit - it was the Jarrah Ply / Silver Gimlet kit that was our display kit from the 1992 NAMM Show. He took possession of it shortly after the show in January and used it quite often in those 7 months before until his untimely passing in August. I know there was a Ray Charles session in there somewhere towards the beginning of 1992, as he brought CB along to it.

Possibly the best example of Jeff's Brady kit was the track "Calling Elvis" by Dire Straits.

I hung with Jeff a bit for a few years prior to his unfortunate death. He ALWAYS played his Gretsch Carpathian Elm kit with gold rims and lugs in sessions. Ludwig, Pearl, or Brady snares and Paiste Sig cymbals...sometimes a 602 ride. Always Remo coated Ambassadors on all the top heads and a clear Aquarian head on the kick. DW 5000 pedal, Pearl hardware and rack.

I did go to a Toto rehearsal for The Kingdom of Desire Tour and he was playing a beautiful maple colored DW kit and Brady snares. Never saw him play those in public though.

Modern Drummer – August 2002

Paul Jamieson, who now runs Paul Jamieson Studio Rentals, worked with Jeff from 1975 through 1988. He was Jeff’s drum tech and confidante. Although Jeff always shied away from talking about equipment in his interviews, Jamieson says he definitely had certain preferences and pet peeves.

“When we recorded the first Toto album at Studio 55, he used one of my Gretsch drumsets, which were the same sizes as the Ludwig kit. He played Gretsch drums in the studio from that minute on. From there, I built him a Gretsch kit that he used on Boz’s tours.

“The first time we went to Japan, Yamaha gave us some equipment that Jeff used for a while. And then on our second tour to Japan he made a deal with Pearl. Along with the endorsement came our deal with the drum rack that he and I came up with. Jeff played Pearl live, but on recordings you’re listening to Gretsch drums.

“When Gretsch had their hundred-year anniversary, they built a bicentennial-edition drumset, which I got for Jeff. It was made of Carpathian elm, which is what they made Rolls Royce dashboards out of, with gold parts. To this day, it’s the most beautiful drumset I’ve ever seen. I got Jeff a couple of Gretsch sets, and he used them until he died.

“As far as snare drums, there were five I built for him, plus custom Radio Kings and a 6-1/2″ x 14″, ’40s Gretsch maple snare drum that I customized for him. Those were his main drums, even though toward the end he ended up with twenty to thirty snare drums(Black Beauties), a Brady, a Solid, and all the stuff Pearl and Yamaha had given him.

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:59 pm

Sounds good even on cam mic...

Return to “Drumming Chat”