If you were asked to step in for Vinnie..

Rudy_Ment

If you were asked to step in for Vinnie..

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 am

Remember this story? http://www.openculture.com/2012/08/keit ... _over.html

'When Pete Townshend asked the crowd, “Can anybody play the drums?” Halpin mounted the stage, settled into Moon’s drum kit,
and began confidently playing the blues jam “Smoke Stacked Lighting”

Here's something that will never happen, but if it did.. :D

Let's say you're at a concert with Vinnie on kit, and Vinnie for whtever reason can't complete or even start the gig. If the audience were asked "Can anybody play the drums?" would you put your hand up? I'm assuming noone would if it was with Chick, Herbie or Frank. Or would you? Maybe Rodge would. What about for Sting or any pop artist?
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: If you were asked to step in for Vinnie..

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 am

Noone would be fully prepared for the gig anyway, but that doesn't matter. Well, maybe the drum tech who's observed every previous gig on the tour...

My question would be, how could someone not raise their hand? Even if it trainwrecked 50 times, which it wouldn't, I would just play it really safe when needed, it would be a memeory for life, Something worthy of it's own chapter in the family chronicles.
Rene

Postby Rene » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:17 am

A drummer from South-Africa subbed for Vinnie on the day he got ill during a tour. Not exactly the same, but close. But heck what could go wrong ? :mrgreen:

Odd-arne, you would do THIS :D

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:40 am

Rene wrote:
Odd-Arne, you would do THIS :D

lol

About 15 years ago when I was a full timer half the setlist was that type of stuff.

Like a different lifetime.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:08 am

Rene wrote:A drummer from South-Africa subbed for Vinnie on the day he got ill during a tour. Not exactly the same, but close. But heck what could go wrong ? :mrgreen:

It's an interesting listen, someone else on Vinnie's kit. Of course it's not the same - it's a mortal playing, after all - but I think he does a great job in the circumstances.
____
Ned
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 am

There are a few examples.

Offcourse, Vinnie is known for his power, dedication, totally giving everything all the time, which is rare in itself, but at the same time you can't really expect the same from a stand in doing a one-off with little time to prepare as well as little to no rehearsal time to do the same. Some can prioritize right naturally on a gig when not everything could be perfect anyway, but others require something different to be comfortable and give their best.

In any case, I'm sure they had a blast anyway.
Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 pm

An interesting listen to say the least. I had no idea.

I guess that's really Vince's kit. Isn't it?
I think Sting would actually ask Vimce to turn things down a bit. Lord knows Vinnie is like a kid in a candy store musically. If you let him go, he'll throw paint all over the canvas =))

thewikiman wrote:
Rene wrote:A drummer from South-Africa subbed for Vinnie on the day he got ill during a tour. Not exactly the same, but close. But heck what could go wrong ? :mrgreen:

It's an interesting listen, someone else on Vinnie's kit. Of course it's not the same - it's a mortal playing, after all - but I think he does a great job in the circumstances.
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:33 pm

"What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?"

;)

(early snl reference for you youngsters)

Return to “Drumming Chat”