Playing Covers: How Picky is Too Picky???

Christopher

Re: Playing Covers: How Picky is Too Picky???

Postby Christopher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 am

I try to learn and play the original parts as close to the recordings as I can. I know there are guys that don’t feel it means that much, but to me it does.

For me, I always like to hear the “right” fills and parts when hearing a cover band play a song that I know. The tempo and feel are more important, but I love hearing any iconic or signature fills as well.

I figure the musicians who were writing and recording these songs worked pretty damn hard coming up with their parts, and far be it from me to second guess what they deemed best for their own tunes.

Besides it being challenging to replicate thing accurately, it’s my way of showing respect for the drummer I’m covering.
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 am

Steely Dan's Alive in America with Peter and Dennis is about as good as a recording gets with guys playing the parts but also throwing in some of their own spices.

I love the way Peter plays those tunes.

I have experience playing in a tribute act, but would I play as inconsistently as Nick Mason just for authenticity sake? Never crossed my mind.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 am

langmick wrote:I have experience playing in a tribute act, but would I play as inconsistently as Nick Mason just for authenticity sake? Never crossed my mind.

How 'bout Moonie? :lol:
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:02 pm

That's entirely different! :)

This is my friend Joe.

I like how these guys approach it...Will Lee on bass. he's WIll Lee, playing McCartney's parts.

And there is this...YesSongs.

langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:31 am

These guys are pretty good.

Return to “Drumming Chat”