Vinnie with Dom . . .

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Vinnie with Dom . . .

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 am

The concept of intelligence in all this is really just the ability to see hos everything is connected and then having no choice but acting responsibly, while of course sounden incredibly arrogant to many, which most know is just a projection.

Anyone can develop their consciousness to that level, though. I do this through teaching and prove regularly that it's possible.

It's not like everything was fair in the music business before or that those who made up the rules were all integrous there's simply no set rules of value anymore. It's all out there and everything is subjekt to, usually unqualified, opinion.

A big part of how I make things work is I bring that back in a way that works today. Yes, too much ego and it's quite impossible to get it. That's no prerequisite to get value from it, though.
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:50 am

Old Pit Guy wrote:
willyz wrote:...and y'all wonder why people come and go here.

I'll admit that I lurk from time to time, and appreciate when good discussion is had.

But the discussion quickly becomes so hostile...

...that being said:

I think we need to be thinking about what Vinnie says regarding the industry, what we're all saying about the industry- and think about how this all affects not just the guys on top but the the little guy and those in between. If the culture (or behavior as Paul mentioned) is diminished, rather the value of music (or any medium) is diminished (both in our day to day culture and in monetary terms), then that not only changes things for a serious pro like Vinnie, but that changes for the weekend warriors too.

I'm one of the 'come and go[ne]' guys.

I'll try not to offend anyone, but since I realize that the half-dozen or so denizens tend to take attitudes that break from established convention personally, I expect to fail miserably unless I govern myself like a mouse pissing on cotton to not wake the cat. And that just isn't going to happen.

I've read every post. Twice. And somewhere between the end, when the "190 IQ guy" opined that I must understand something to appreciate it, and further back with Jeppe's brutal honesty (which I do appreciate), I couldn't help but sense the missing irony of the Internet as the venue for the topic. And with that, I will offer the full .01 value of my opinion and return to purgatory. 

In the other thread on this topic, old as it is now, I wrote about how people have to sincerely care before any of this changes, and how that was unlikely to happen. True to form, that received the requisite rebuke.  Because, well, people obviously do care, right? Wrong. As much of this thread bears witness to, people tend to care mostly about themselves. Not that there's anything terribly wrong with that.

And so to flesh-out my first go at it, the problem as I see it, and it's way more than just with the music business, is that the Internet has democratized not just information, but most tenets of conventional wisdom and culture. It determines everything from elections to taste in music to what is or isn't news. And also what does and doesn’t amount to politically correct opinion. And so the people decide what is Trending and what is politically correct.

Well, I'm here to say that these are not good things to be based on a democratic model, because a democratic model enshrines mediocrity. And the Internet knows that all too well. And it’s easy to exploit. I don't know about you, but I prefer people who know a hell of a lot about something, and have the credentials and history to prove it, sitting around a table trying to determine the best course or two so the rest of us can choose one as we go about our business. Things tend to turn out better that way. This is nothing new; take a moment to explore what the Greeks had to say about Democracy.

However, because the Internet is bursting with mediocre thought — we have the Normal Curve to prove it — the result is elected politicians unfit for their jobs; "scientists" who write and publish their own books and decry peer review as laborious and unnecessary; millions who steal other people’s work and intellectual property, and others who don’t give a shit about any of it.

The way I see it this will not change until the model changes, because the Normal Curve doesn't change of its own accord. And if we're going to sit back and allow that big amorphous hump in the middle of the curve that is the Internet to determine important things, like whether people who spend their professional lives in the arts can make a living from it, those things are going to suffer, and we’re going to suffer right along with it because people who think critically aren’t going to take their place anytime soon.

This is well said, I agree. It reminds me very much of Neil Postman's "Amusing Ourselves to Death". Although that book was written 30+ years ago, you can essentially replace television with the internet in its central thesis and it is entirely valid today. A good read if you haven't.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:50 pm

When I received Aphex Twin's "Syro" when it came out I looked at the cover and went like "what the f...? the f... do I need to know that fo?" IMO, one component out of many of the current situation is people's oblivion to what it actually takes to make an album. Not only financially, but the talent, sentiment, and time put into making it.

“The intense, and ultimately pointless detail of the list really appealed to me … it was good working with James Burton and the team at Warp to stretch out this mantra that tells the reader everything and nothing about the creation of what I hear was an intensely personal album in the making reduced to the numbers of an album in the marketplace,”

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/warp-releases-syro-artwork-by-the-designers-republic/

That Vinnie/Dom video is worth a 1000 youtube drumming videos.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:57 am

Morgenthaler wrote:
Pocketplayer wrote:I don't recall him saying he
just "sent it up to the universe"

He said it twice, for those who have ears to hear ;)

Go to 24:46 (talking about intent) "You put it out in the universe and it's amazing.
I'll give you an example. I was doing a lot of sessions and I thought You know, this
is really good but I need to do something else now; I need to go out and play live again,
but it really would have to be something like Sting or Peter Gabriel
- I literally thought that - and
put that out in the universe, maybe even verbally - a few months later, I get this phone call" [...]

You know what, I call absolute BS on that.

Pocketplayer wrote:VC did NOT rant and rave....he was very humble and intelligent and told the truth.

Well, with the transcript of his exact words as documented above, I simply beg to differ.

You can call bullshit on it.. But It happened...You'd be surprized how many succesfull people say the same thingor something similar.

Whatever you focus on .. you get more of..

It could just be a statistical numbers thing.. 1000 drummers wish they could play witht Sting and Gabriel. 100 Have the skills, 25 have the contacts.. 1 is the best fit..
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Textbook confirmation bias.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:48 am

Probably closer to a million want that gig. lol

Guys that are as solid and always ON like Vinnie or Omar are very rare indeed.

Return to “Drumming Chat”