Vinnie with Dom . . .

Frank Sanchez

Vinnie with Dom . . .

Postby Frank Sanchez » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:27 pm

What do you all make of this? The "scene" is certainly dead. But, is there something that we have gained through the advent of sharing? Can what Vinnie proposes actually become reality in terms of legislation? Honest questions. Wondering what the HOD community thinks...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Vinnie with Dom . . .

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:25 am

It's a big subject and one we tlk about a lot.

To me, in my job, as someone who's decided to mainly teach, the parallels are huge.

To me this music industry thing relates to my subjects. We are not the old thing. We are inbetween the old classical state sponsored stuff and the new attitudes. We are misunderstood by both those sides in regards to the value of what we provide, but even more so just simply what it's about.

To be a bit harsh we have:

1) Musicians who learned to play an instrument. Did teachnical exercises with no other purpose but technical fluidity and in essence work as a conductor's organ pipe, have plenty of opinions about other things, but most don't know shit.

2) Kids who like to push buttons and are told how great they are without really having done any real work.

The simple truth about how we relate to live spontaneous music is something I've reminded of every time I play. Big shows with pop artists are one thing. When we give people who aren't used to it those experiences close up it's something different.

Musicians simply being on the level where we can jam something meaningfu instead of a 15 minute guitar solo by some drunk idiot... It's rare. There's good stuff, but if you go the next show there's nothing new.

Seems like a bit of a tangent, but the attitude and respect for teaching music in that way, it's not that it's gone, it came and it went before we had a generation change. So we're back to the old way substituted by amateurs who should not be teaching because of low economy.

Of course, there's talent, new people who want to do it, but we never got true hold in education, especially on the lower local level. Raising the next generation to understand and appreciate it as art of equal value.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:37 am

Frank Sanchez wrote:is there something that we have gained through the advent of sharing? Can what Vinnie proposes actually become reality in terms of legislation?

Yes, and yes. In fact, the ONLY way forward is via legislation. It has to happen, and it WILL happen. WE ALL need to be a part of it too. The first step is understanding what is REALLY going on, and who is gaining from the status quo. The book I linked to in the other topic below will make it all VERY CLEAR.

Think of this: More music is being listened to now, than at any time in history. More money is being generated from that music than ever before in history. And musicians are making LESS money than ever before. Okay, so where is the money going?

Trust me, this is not going to be an easy fight, but musicians/artists will prevail. I'm sure Google will "go dark" in protest, and try and get even more people fired from their positions in government, but we will prevail.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:53 am

We see hear the magic of Dom...he barely asked a few questions and
Vinnie came alive and opened up...thanks Dom for opening up the Vinnie
vault...this stuff is magic...more details the better!

Vinnie is SMART! Wisdom...I am hearing a man who paid his dues
and has lived through all these eras colliding with those who grew
up getting "for free" and those in positions of power who did not
have to pay their dues at the same level and therefore do not "get it"...
until it all breaks down and then "wisdom: synergy is better than not"
will triumph, therefore, beauty and the human spirit will resonate with
deeper connection over having 1000 "likes" from non-synergistic sources.

...which brings me to this below (frog in water) which is not rational,
and usually harder to be aware of.

For me, this relates...a lot...and part of the "deeper" reason this fight is so difficult!
http://www.tristanharris.com/essays/

http://www.tristanharris.com/
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Well, it was nice to hear him talk about drumming for the first 10 minutes.

I really need to do an interview with Weck and Vinnie playing clips of my favorite stuff of theirs and get them talking about it. Ugh.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:29 am

I have a really hard time swallowing the (paraphrasing)
"I just said to the universe: I need to play with Sting or Peter Gabriel, and then BOOM" nonsense.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:28 am

A very very good interview overall. His comments on the current state of the music business are very insightful. I am hoping the big names who get it start spreading the message with their fan-base at one level or the other.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:22 am

If you're going to try to run legislation at Google, their lawyers will eat it alive and ask for more.

Look at how much power Eric Schmidt has...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:16 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Ugh.

langmick wrote:their lawyers will eat it alive and ask for more.

Morgenthaler wrote:nonsense

I'm really not surprised. Vinnie takes a stand and talks about an issue that we should all care about, and you guys just shit all over it. Shame on you. Now get back to your sticking exercises.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:43 pm

P2P music sharing is dead. Ipod is dead too. Streaming is king. Problem is revenue.
The whole thing about budgets jeopardizing quality is half true. 80s was flooded with stupid-over-the-top-albums. Jacob Collier just won 2 Grammys for an album recorded by himself in his bedroom. Rudy Van Gelder recorded some of the finest albums of all time in his living room.
The old model is collapsing. No legislation will stop it. Say you ban all streaming services (which is impossible), you think people will start paying for music again as they did 20 years ago? Not gonna happen. Unfair? You bet.

Return to “Drumming Chat”