HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

Rudy_Ment

Re: HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:25 pm

My attempted Steve Jordan impersonation! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Love this song so I had a go with just the Zoom Q3 and some EQ.

No drums no life, know drums know life...
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 am

Nice Rudy...CLEAN man...very clean! Sound comes out well with your equipment.
This almost sounds like a drum play a long tune to work on clean time and groove--
LOCK into pocket for 3 mins. If I played this for someone, they would never guess
it wasn't the drum sound track.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks Joe! Coming from the man on here where pocket is king, I'll take that :) In my quest for 'Kaide like perfection' (and it's quite intimidating posting my stuff underneath his videos), I can hear where I need to 'calibrate' certain elements like some kicks that are a bit ahead and snare hits that are slightly changing sound where they need to be more consistent. But overall, I'm pretty happy and yeah, at the moment I'm enjoying the more simple Zoom recording and natural drum sound instead of the more produced sound with my kit mics. I'm currently learning the awesome song Caves of Altamira and if it's good enough I might post it here. That's a hard one to get right, lots of detail and nuance, and it's 79bpm, not the easiest tempo to sit on.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 am

Nice playing Rudy, fun tune! Caves is a weird tune, Marotta lets each backbeat hang out there so long, feels like the whole song is going to completely stop. The intro is especially weird, he rubberizes the time.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:01 am

Thanks Mick. Yes, Caves is incredibly laid back. Actually, I thought it was Marotta but according to wiki it's Purdie.

Rick Marotta – drums ("Don't Take Me Alive", "Everything You Did")
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie – drums (all other tracks)
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:42 am

Ah, I got that tune mixed up with Don't Take Me Alive...

That whole album is a lot of fun to play along to, so much good drumming.
geoffgilldrums

Postby geoffgilldrums » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:59 am

Rudy_Ment wrote: I'm currently learning the awesome song Caves of Altamira and if it's good enough I might post it here. That's a hard one to get right, lots of detail and nuance, and it's 79bpm, not the easiest tempo to sit on.

Coool Rudy. and yes this tune is a gas to play. I am playing it a fair amount lately (10 piece horn band: counting off as 16ths @ 78 helps lock this bitch down w/ the fellas). Purdie really killed this track / impressed the hell out of me / huge respect. i have 2 separate charts if you need them. the 2nd cycle of hemiolas finally made sense to me when i saw the bar of 9/8 (attached).
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (92.48 KiB) Viewed 9663 times
Atlanta drummer. If it grooves, I dig it !
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Hey Geoff, 10 piece band, nice! You really must post a video or audio recording with your band, I would dig to hear that. Are you using a click for it live or just as it comes after counting it off? I feel the same about Purdie on this, and on Green Earrings, just superb playing.

I've pretty much worked everything out and intend to try and copy the fills 1:1 but I'd appreciate seeing your charts if you don't mind, I could print one off and write a few specific fill notes on it. I followed your lead sheet, thanks for that! I hadn't figured out that it was a 9/8 measure but it all makes sense now as shown at the second time ending of C.

There's a lovely fill he plays (nothing technical but just cleverly orchestrated) on the repeating outro brass melody, starting halfway through the 6th and 10th measure of the repeat measures after the coda. Perhaps you can confirm to me what you think his sticking is. This has given me an opportunity to try out the notation software app that Steve mentioned to me called Musink. I learned how to use it today, it's great.

Here's the fill and the way I think he must be sticking it? The fill on the record is at 3:06.

geoffgilldrums

Postby geoffgilldrums » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Rudy_Ment wrote:Hey Geoff, 10 piece band, nice! You really must post a video or audio recording with your band, I would dig to hear that. Are you using a click for it live or just as it comes after counting it off? I feel the same about Purdie on this, and on Green Earrings, just superb playing.

I've pretty much worked everything out and intend to try and copy the fills 1:1 but I'd appreciate seeing your charts if you don't mind, I could print one off and write a few specific fill notes on it. I followed your lead sheet, thanks for that! I hadn't figured out that it was a 9/8 measure but it all makes sense now as shown at the second time ending of C.

There's a lovely fill he plays (nothing technical but just cleverly orchestrated) on the repeating outro brass melody, starting halfway through the 6th and 10th measure of the repeat measures after the coda. Perhaps you can confirm to me what you think his sticking is. This has given me an opportunity to try out the notation software app that Steve mentioned to me called Musink. I learned how to use it today, it's great. Here's the fill and the way I think he must be sticking it? The fill on the record is at 3:06.

yeah Rudy ! the 10 piece funk band is Bumpin' The Mango out of Atlanta: http://www.bumpinthemango.com/ (some video & pics here, just released an original EP etc). HEAVY tower of power tunes plus originals / ridiculous players / big fun every gig. i have a custom "Caves of Altamira" chart in PDF if you want it via email (fills are not scripted out tho) ? i use a click just for count offs (built in metronome in ForScore chart reader.)

yeah i am coping most of Purdie's groove & fills as close as i can from memory for everything except the outro. HA, I didn't even notice that cool outro fill as i am in a custom outro arrangement at that point w/ the 10 piece group. nice job on that transcription video ! i have tried that app a few times...still hand-transcribe everything for the most part. yup, the feel & spacing that Purdie lays down is smooooth as butter. just relaxed and in-the-pocket. then i would love to hear the back story on the studio tracking for the hemiolas: were they scripted out by Fagen & Becker or did Purdie come up w/ that. End result is great.
Atlanta drummer. If it grooves, I dig it !
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 pm

geoffgilldrums wrote:
yeah Rudy ! the 10 piece funk band is Bumpin' The Mango out of Atlanta: http://www.bumpinthemango.com/ (some video & pics here, just released an original EP etc). HEAVY tower of power tunes plus originals / ridiculous players / big fun every gig. i have a custom "Caves of Altamira" chart in PDF if you want it via email (fills are not scripted out tho) ? i use a click just for count offs (built in metronome in ForScore chart reader.)

yeah i am coping most of Purdie's groove & fills as close as i can from memory for everything except the outro. HA, I didn't even notice that cool outro fill as i am in a custom outro arrangement at that point w/ the 10 piece group. nice job on that transcription video ! i have tried that app a few times...still hand-transcribe everything for the most part. yup, the feel & spacing that Purdie lays down is smooooth as butter. just relaxed and in-the-pocket. then i would love to hear the back story on the studio tracking for the hemiolas: were they scripted out by Fagen & Becker or did Purdie come up w/ that. End result is great.

Hey geoff, your band is awesome and so is your playing, I mean seriously good drumming. I listened to everything on the website. You've got great time, feel and some tasty chops. Really enjoyed listening and the singer has a great voice. Pity I don't live in the states, I'd have booked a lesson or two with you.

Thanks for the offer of the pdf geoff, but I've now fully transcribed the whole drum part note for note as close as I can so I'm going to put that up on the stand, practise and then record it and hope I can get slightly close to nailing the pocket. This is it if you're interested in seeing it, my very messy draft, lol. I'm going to write it out again neatly.
https://s8.postimg.cc/bh8jgzrgl/20180822_132256.jpg

Return to “Drumming Chat”