HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

sturla

Re: HODers VIDEOS TOPIC - Your own drum videos here

Postby sturla » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:44 pm

It is indeed time consuming as Steve said. And it is hard to have everything working properly - cameras, multi miking, etc.
I just am lucky to be able to go to my little studio to play a bit every other week or so. So busy with two little kids these days and full time day job.
Not complaining bit would have loooooved to really be able to put in more hours.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:04 pm

I've been putting up raw old video of the PF tribute I was in for a while. Some incredible guitar and keys work here. The keyboardist is currently in Brit Floyd. The guitarists should be as well. Blessed to have played bad drums behind them.

thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:50 am

Pocketplayer thanks man! That's really kind feedback! The snare is a Noble & Cooley I bought last year. I sold I think 4 snares for around £1000 (including a vinnie sig Gretsch) to buy a single snare for £1079 and I have ZERO regrets. I feel like I could have done every single gig / band / thing I've ever done with just this one 14x7 Walnut thing. It's also beautiful: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_pjYwhAf5c/?igshid=g6ihvlq399qo

sturla wrote:I got intrigued about the Moises app? So it does really work? Some artifacts I guess But If it is fairly decent it sounds very promising.

It works incredibly well - not perfectly but well enough to make a huge difference. I'd recommend trying it out - you can download it from the app / android store and I think you can do 5 tunes a month for free before you need he premium version, something like that.

Steve Holmes wrote:thewikiman - great job putting that all together. Folks don't realize how time (mind, body and soul) consuming it is to setup cameras and mics, record yourself until you're pleased, mix the the audio sync it with video and then edit the video. It's a LOT. Great tune choice and you sound great too.

Thank you Steve. I use the EAD10 Yamaha which takes a lot of pressure off - one mic only, records the drums, it does the video on your phone, provides the audio in your headphones. You then mix the relative volume of the backing / drums in the app. I then put it into imovie to add the GoPro overhead shot - it's an extra layer of time and hassle but it means I don't have to look at my own jazz face on the videos...

Erksoman's feedback was that I was getting ahead of my skis. Putting too much energy into the tune to be able to truly sit in the pocket. I've found his feedback very useful - I've found that basically as a non-jazz drummer my default playing is about 300% too loud, and the journey to be able to express myself whilst playing much quieter is an ongoing one... but so, so beneficial.

Something like this (which I uploaded before finding the moises app) is unimaginably quiet by my standards, I literally couldn't have hit this softly and still expressed anything musically, pre-Peter Erskine course...

____
Ned
willyz

Postby willyz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:32 am

Here’s some random noodles from NYE. Playing freely and working a few things out.

Got Blushda?
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:41 pm

Nice to see Willy in the shed doing his thang!!!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
sturla

Postby sturla » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:47 am

I checked out The Moises.ai app and it is very cool.
So i put John Mayers Vultures to test and did that as the first one with this app Thanks theWikiman for turning me on to it. It also provides a click which sometimes work too. If it isn’t too wild of changes.

thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:27 am

This is great, I love how into it you are! It feels different to playalong to the song when you're truly filling the hole where the drums should be...

That K custom dark crash as hihat, I know you cut to it at one point but I couldn't make out the size - is it 17" pair of hats?! I don't normally like large hats but they work really well in this tune.
____
Ned
kaide

Postby kaide » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:59 am

Here's a new Bruno Mars / Anderson Paak cover that I recorded yesterday. Great to have real drums on current pop/r&b song.

sturla

Postby sturla » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:25 am

thewikiman wrote:This is great, I love how into it you are! It feels different to playalong to the song when you're truly filling the hole where the drums should be...

That K custom dark crash as hihat, I know you cut to it at one point but I couldn't make out the size - is it 17" pair of hats?! I don't normally like large hats but they work really well in this tune.

Thanks. Yes those are 17" K crashes as a hihat. Both are broken though. But sound kinda cool together.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:36 pm

Sturla & Kaide--the cover meistros!
Both outside of the HOD domain and killing it!
There is no place to hid on these tunes...pocket
or die! lol
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”